1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you could change the world...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TriBi, Aug 24, 2005.

1. TriBi

...or something in it - what would it be?

Whether it is major or minor, macro or micro, global or personal - what would you pick?

Me - well, given the fairly fractious state of the globe in general - I rather think I'd like to be able to increase everyones level of tolerance and acceptance.

I can just hear you asking - Tolerance/acceptance of what?

Answer?: Well...anything and/or everything. Seems to me that most of the problems we have are related to a lack of the above :icon_wink

We need more (*hug*) and less :bang: IMO.

Oh - and on a personal level - I'd rather like to arrange that winning lottery ticket :grin:

2. JonB321

Well... there were always three somewhat random things I always felt passionately about, and always promised myself I would correct if I made enough money (enough money in this case would be billions upon billions of dollars). Anyway, the first two are somewhat reasonable. First, I'd like to create housing and schooling for all runaway and homeless children, especially gay runaways. I think that children not having a home is the saddest thing on earth, and I can empathize with gay runaways moreso than other homeless children. The second thing I wanted to do was create some sort of free medical care for impoverished people. I figured I'd be able to do this by convincing congress and medical schools around the country to allow a doctors residences to be done in free clinics instead of in hospitals.
    The last think I wanted to do is a bit extreme. I want to irrigate Africa. Set up water purifacation centers all around the shoreline. Than work pipes and the irrigation infrastructure towards central Africa. Once Africa is irrigated, have pharmacuetical companies lose the rights to patents in Africa, and start creating massive amounts of generic drugs for cheap dispensation throughout the continent. After this, send in teachers to teach the people how to farm and once the farming was in place, teach them manufacturing. Then leave them alone for about 20 years to work on an economy.

I know that all sounds pretty nuts, but I used to think about it a lot when I was in highschool, and I have sheets of paper written out about how I'd impliment the whole plan. So I guess that's how I'd change the world.

Oh, if I got to just suddenly change something in the world, I think I'd add a bit of magic to it. I've always been obsessed with magic and fantasy, so I think if I had my way, the world would resemble the Harry Potter novels a bit more.

3. goratrix

-I would make my college books cheaper
    -increase the percentage of gay men (specially of a certain age range that live in my city and practice tkd.... ahem....) <-- and yes, that was a joke
    -reduce world population in half
    -advance in space travel enough so that we can colonize other uninhabited worlds. Yes, himanity, as every plague, will expand or die.
    -Erase from history Dan Brown <-- and that was NOT a joke
    -stop people from killing without need
    -abolish religions
    -oh, yeah, also a neo comunist society, kind of like star trek's federation.
    -Make Isidoro work wothout problems (a software I'm developing, just ignore me)
    -get a hobbie and stop posting here... XD

4. TriBi

Wow - Jon, that's pretty ambitious - still, nothing wrong with aiming high!

Any more with any more?

5. Micah

*Hands Goratrix a shotgun*

You've got a lotta work to do, mate.

6. goratrix

thanks, although I'm not the one to judge who lives or doesn't. I'll keep that shotgun btw, there are a few people I think I can judge by myself... and in case I'm wrong then... I don't care since I'm the one with the shotgun! :slight_smile:

7. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

If you don't want the population reduction to be instant, one of your other plans "increase the percentage of gay men" would cause a nice gradual population reduction over the course of a generation. I'm assuming of course you would aarrange an equal increase in the number of lesbians otherwise there would be a lot of very frustrated ladies. :icon_conf

8. goratrix

I'm am selfcentred, so no, I didn't think about the lesbians... although it would be nice as well.

I think I read somewhere that homosexuality is nature's way to keep population low (well, good job nature! you are only a few millenia late)

9. popboy

Hmmm, the Opus Dei and you share the same wish... it's funny considering you're not a religious guy!!!

10. goratrix

Opus Dei do not affect me, I will not do what they will, nor will I opose them, I'll just ignore them.