1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If/When a state in the South legalizes gay marriage, which ones would/will be first?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Étoile, Dec 7, 2009.

?

Which state(s) would/will be first?

1. Texas

7 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Florida

30 vote(s)
    71.4%
  3. Alabama

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. South Carolina

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. Arkansas

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  6. Mississippi

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Georgia

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  8. Virginia

10 vote(s)
    23.8%
  9. Louisiana

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  10. North Carolina

8 vote(s)
    19.0%
  11. Kentucky

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  12. Tennessee

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. West Virginia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Missouri

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Emberstone

Re: If/When a state in the South legalizes gay marriage, which ones would/will be fir

florida... cause its already fairly gay... all those men, playing in the surf of the miami beaches... and you wonder why the waters so salty...

that... and have you noticed? florida looks like a droopy, flacid penis... and the florida keys look like.... ugh... yah.

2. UserName

Re: If/When a state in the South legalizes gay marriage, which ones would/will be fir

Well, since I live in South Carolina I'd love to think it'd be the first state to legalize gay marriage in the south...but, unfortunately, I think I'll remain realistic and go with Florida. :frowning2:

3. azrae1

azrae1 Guest

i don't live in the states, but i guessed florida would be the first lol

4. Meropspusillus

I have a feeling it'll happen on a Federal level before any of these states make any changes.

5. Paralyzer

Probably northern virginia, lmao... there are just so many gay people here and it's so close to DC.

6. Katherine

The land of rednecks and pine trees (Georgia)

I would guess either Florida or Virginia first. Georgia will probably take a while. We have a huge gay population in the city of Atlanta, but almost all of the areas outside the city are majorly homophobic.

7. BrownBoi89

Well I don't live in the US so I really don't know, but I think the question is a tough one, because I agree with some of the other posters that it will most likely have to change at a federal level before most or any of these states allow it themselves. Also almost all of these states have bans on same-sex marriage right now, I'm not sure how your law-making system works down there, but I assume these laws would have to overturned or amended first or something, and a new bill would have to be introduced or something. However I do remember hearing that if it was done on a state by state basis the last 2 states to adopt same-sex marriage would be Alabama and Mississippi, which seems about right to me. I say your guys' best bet is for it to change on a federal level, or move to states where it's legalized, or move to Canada, where I live. :smilewave

8. Rygirl

I can't really say cuz I live an ocean away, but I went with Florida, cuz everyone else seems to think that it will be the first, and cuz its the only place in America I've been to on holiday.

9. Étoile

That may be our best bet and I was planning on moving to Canada. Then I had a thought: I'd be leaving all of my family, friends, and the things that are pleasant about my city behind. Plus, staying shows the opposers that we will put up a good fight.

10. BrownBoi89

Yeah I was kind of joking a bit with the last line, but keep up the good fight everyone! Despite some of the setbacks you've had this year, 4 states in one year is not bad at all in my opinion. Only 45 more to go! (or 46 if you include DC). I'm rooting for all of you! :icon_bigg We all deserve equal rights and to be happy.

11. Astaroth

I chose Missouri mainly by process of elimination. Florida seemed like the logical choice given its high LGBT population in Orlando and Miami and Fort Lauderdale, but it also houses a disproportionate amount of retirees, many of whom vote along conservative party lines. And Texas was the last state in the union to repeal their sodomy laws, so I don't foresee them suddenly become progressive on gay rights. Most of the other states I just don't have much information about as far as LGBT stats are concerned, so I basically chose one of the "northernmost" states as a compromise, especially since it's somewhat close to Iowa. But really... they're all sort of a toss in the dark at this point.

12. donnie5

florida has to be first. ever been to south beach?! lol:icon_wink

13. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

It's unlikely that it will ever get the support in Congress needed to enact it on a federal level anytime in the immediate future though.

14. edogs334

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

I voted for Florida first, North Carolina second.

15. Fiorino

First would have to be Florida, hopefully followed by Viriginia?

I dunno, I live in a pretty liberal environment, but I think that big population centers in
    VA like Northern VA and Richmond could have influence. It will probably take at least a few years though.

16. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

I still think it will be North Carolina.