1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If 90% of people were gay, would locker rooms/bathrooms, TSA and strip search still be gendered?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Littavhvert, Feb 11, 2024.

1. Littavhvert

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm wondering what the world would look like if 90% of the world's population were gay/lesbian, and only 10% were other sexualities. Would locker rooms, public bathrooms, the TSA and strip searches still be segregated by gender?

The reason it's segregated by gender in the majority of the cis-hetero world is because of safety, privacy and that it's a bigger chance of the opposite genders being attracted to each others. Often people aren't comfortable with the opposite gender seeing them naked and potentially being attracted to them unless they're dating. They often wants to keep their bodies private and only show it to their opposite gender partner. In addition the gender segregation is supposed to make people, especially women, feel safer from the opposite gender potentially being attracted to them. In TSA a man isn't allowed to touch women and a woman isn't allowed to touch men. Gay people are attracted to the same gender. How would it work?

Would bathrooms be mixed gender? Would it be single stalls or one-person rooms only?
    Would strip searches and TSA be done by the opposite gender, if most people were gay? How would the TSA avoid potential lawsuits?

2. Ran

Ran
    Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Society can adapt to changes, though some countries leaders that will be nameless say that the society is not ready for it, what I think is incorrect, because there are places that do implement gender neutral bathrooms/lockerrooms. Those places can do it, but the rest of the society cant?

It's all about adapting and looking over protocols how things are done and implementing new laws, when it comes to safety and privacy.

It's all doable. People are just stuck in their own safe box that society itself has created and that safe box isn't even that safe either.

3. wouldbeElliot

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Forgive me if this is garbled nonsense.
    I feel that gendered toilets aren't really there to separate genders that attract but to keep ones with the same body together, as they are comfortable with it. I think this same psychology applies to pat-downs and searches. The person who is searching me would be my gender, not because they likely aren't attracted to me, but because we have the same body. I don't think there would be a big difference.

I wouldn't mind a person of my gender attracted to my gender patting me down at all. If they are professional about it there will be no difference in functionality. Otherwise would be sexual harassment.

I can't really think of what would happen if we had a sexuality ratio this surreal...

#3 wouldbeElliot, Feb 18, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2024
  4. Littavhvert

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm also more comfortable with same gender bathrooms, pat downs etc. although I'm a queer (biromantic). I think your theory makes sense. I prefer going to female doctors because they have the same body parts as me and it's easier to explain them typical female problems. There are many great male doctors out there, so to me it's just a preference thing. If I was a man, I probably would go to a male one.

I feel uncomfortable around the idea of the opposite sex seeing me naked or touching me although it's not a sexual situation. We got different parts. To me the point of separating the genders is about having the same body and having some degree of privacy. I don't care about people's sexuality. I think the system we have now works for the majority of people.

It's hard to imagine what the world would look like if 90% were gay. I would guess that the bathrooms would be several one-person bathrooms or stalls with both a toilet and a sink in. Bathrooms would probably look similar to the handicap toilets, but smaller. I have no idea what locker rooms would look like. If most people were attracted to the same gender, there would be fewer men on women action generally and less fear of accidentally pregnancy. It would probably mean people would be less concerned about their modesty, maybe have a nudist approach to things and maybe there would be mixed gender locker rooms. One of the reason people finds it embarrassing to show their private parts to the opposite gender is because they associates nudity with hetero sex, reproduction and marriage. Many cis-hetero people, from my experience, doesn't want to attract the opposite gender and be a temptation because of the consequences of unwanted pregnancies. In consensual sex men and women may be attracted to each other and spontaneously have sex leading to accidentally babies. Therefor the modesty thing was invented. I may be wrong. This is just guessing.

Pat down, strip search etc. may either be done by two people of the opposite gender or people could choose which gender they prefer, if most people were gay. Maybe some gay people would feel more comfortable around the opposite gender because they were less likely to be attracted to them and some gay people may be heterophobic. I imagine conservative and skeptical gay people would feel uncomfortable around the opposite gender potentially being a hetero and hetero being associated with breeding. I watched a movie about gay being the majority and some gay people being heterophobic because the hetero was a minority. They didn't like heterosexuality outside of the reproduction season. Minorities tends to be oppressed more than the majority, with a few exceptions historically like the rich and the ruling class in South Africa's apartheid. I can only guess.