1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

idea for coming out to parents.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MaddogMJ5, Apr 11, 2014.

1. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hang in there. You did an exceptionally brave thing (something I can't do and I'm almost twice your age) and I expect you'll be much better off in the long run. If he didn't say anything to you in front of your friend I find it hard to believe he'll have an overwhelmingly negative reaction.

2. MaddogMJ5

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well, actually I'm not even scared about the bisexual part, I think he'll be fine with it. I don't know about the other part though..... Also, the friend I was with knows I am bisexual. :icon_bigg

3. MaddogMJ5

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I just got home this morning, he didn't leave anything. I am seriously going to die, this is horrible. I'm scared, and nervous, and anxious, and all I want is a response. :cry:

Also, school started at like 8:30, it's 10:05. I don't wanna go, because I was dropped off at my house by my step dad and if I left for school RIGHT then, I would still be late. So, I don't wanna go, because I don't wanna be late. Mainly because we have block schedule (1-3-5 ; 2-4-6) and my 2nd period math teacher is meeeeean. I'm gonna wait until about 10:30, then go to school. It should be 4th period by then. I'll just go into the office, get the late slip, then go to class. But, I've been late so many times like this, that the Vice Principal had to talk to me, and told me if I was late again, I would have an in-house suspension. If that happens, I'm just never going to school ever again. Then I'll have my phone and laptop taken away for a really long time. SO, if I never respond or update, you know what happened.

4. MaddogMJ5

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I never went to school yesterday, my dad doesn't knows yet. My dad still hasn't responded or left anything. I think I should just text him "did you get the letter?" this is gonna drive me insane.

5. Tectonic

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Do it. You don't want to continue stressing over it.

6. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, I think this is probably a good idea. Whether positive or negative I would have definitely expected some sort of a reaction by now so maybe something happened and he never saw it.

7. MaddogMJ5

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Alright, I think I just blew my shot. My dad came into my room, put a chair down, and told me to pause the video. I knew he was about to talk about something serious, it HAD to be the letter. I got so nervous, that I just kept on watching the video. I did that for about 3 minutes while he sat behind me. Then my friend Brian knocked on the door, I hurried off and answered it. I let him come in, and we starting watching some videos together, and dad went back in his room. He saved me big time. Now it's been about 5 hours since he left and I'm doing absolutely nothing right now. He has the perfect opportunity to talk to me, but I think he forgot. I don't want him to forget, but I DO NOT want to talk in person.

#27 MaddogMJ5, May 14, 2014
    Last edited: May 14, 2014
  8. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It seems like this conversation will end up happening in person. I know that's not what you wanted and it will certainly be nerve-racking, but I think it will go okay for you. I think starting the conversation is by far the scariest part and by writing the letter you've pushed that on your dad to do. Hang in there; you did the right thing. :slight_smile:

9. MaddogMJ5

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    How was that the right thing? I kinda just ruined everything. I don't think I'll ever be able to bring it back up again. Also, I won't be able to talk in person, I don't like talking at all, so talking about this......Nooooooooooooooo

I don't know what to do, should I just remind him somehow?

10. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think this is something that he'll just forget easily. I would start by just allowing yourself to be alone with him for more than a few seconds and actually pay attention to him. It's pretty obvious he was trying to talk to you about this yesterday before your friend came over.

11. MaddogMJ5

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Ugh, fine. I'll try to get him to start a conversation. But I'm pretty sure it's just gonna be him talking to me while I look at the ground completely silent.

12. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why is that a bad thing?

If you get him to start a conversation and immediately burst into tears and cry for hours in a ball, you will still have done something to be proud of.

13. wanderinggirl

Stop filling in other peoples' reactions for them; let life play out. You won't be able to avoid pain by anticipating everything other people will do around you.

Your parents love you and they see that you are pushing them away; maybe they are feeling hurt right now, and at a loss as to where to begin. They are probably concerned for you.

Don't assume the worst, eventually you will have to engage with your parents in person and they are unpredictable, as all people are. They may end up pleasantly surprising you. Best case scenario you will stop feeling isolated from your parents! Good luck.

14. MaddogMJ5

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well, I live with my dad, but I go over to her house about 3 times a week. I haven't told her anything.

Anyways, dad came into my room right after we got home and was laying in bed. I didn't anticipate this. He just asked me, how long I'd been feeling this way. (I assume he was taking about being bisexual). I tried to come with a response, and I did, but I just couldn't quite say it. So I just sat there until he told me to write everything down on a piece of paper and bring it to him. Which I did. He hasn't done or said anything in response yet. I'm on my way to my mom's house right now.

15. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know this isn't easy but I think the way your dad is handling this is great. He's showing concern without jumping to any conclusions or reacting harshly or anything like that and is giving you the opportunity to communicate with him in the way that you're most comfortable. I'm sure you're still really stressed about this but I have a feeling in the not-too-distant future you'll look at this as an extremely positive step.

16. MaddogMJ5

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yeah, he also asked why I was depressed. (He found out I was depressed and stuff by going through my texts like a month and a half ago) He said he wanted to know so he could figure out what kind of therapist to go to. So, I'm happy that he knew what I meant by "help" :slight_smile:

17. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's awesome. Your dad sounds like a good guy. :slight_smile:

18. kyfry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all it sounds like your dad is awesome, loves you and wants to help you. I know its hard to come out, but as a guy its especially harder to come out to your dad. I know it can be awkward talking about sexuality, and feelings to parents but trust me, if they love and support you it is a big help.

I was depressed before I came out to my parents, so much so I did land in a psych unit. It was during my time there that I realized that as much as I never wanted to come out to my parents I had to in order for me to not be depressed. As for the cutting, try wearing a rubberband around your wrist and just snap it whenever you feel like cutting, or ive been told that getting some sandpaper and a piece of wood and just sanding can help let out some agression.

As nerve racking as it is talk to your parents, talk to a therapist face to face. If they can see your emotion and be honest with them they should be willing to help you. As someone who is very independent as I am it was difficult for me to do but it will help you feel less depressed and people will understand with whats bothering you

19. MaddogMJ5

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I tried the rubber band thing, it didn't work.... I also tried a couple of other things too, still didn't work.

Anyways, thank you :icon_bigg

20. Tectonic

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I think this says a lot about your dad.

If you could just force yourself to talk to him, it would go a long way in helping him help you. But at least you know that he knows, and that he's willing to help.