1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I wish I was taught about homosexuality in primary school?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gibson234, Apr 16, 2013.

1. evora

I can't remember homosexuality ever came up in school. That's probably one of the reasons why I was so disgusted with myself, I had no idea what was wrong with me so yes, I wish we were at least told gay people existed and you could be gay even if you were still a child, or something like that but mainly that it was okay to be gay.

2. SkyColours38

In an ideal world, at least according to my perspective, school teaching would go like this:
    Ages 0-5, step 1: include children's books that feature LGBT families and characters in the nursery, reception (preschool, kindergarten) and school bookshelves/library for young children, so they accept the concepts from an early age. Hopefully also recommend them to parents whose children are not yet in any form of school.
    Ages 6-9, step 2: when teaching the rudiments of sex ed to slightly older children (i.e. the very basics of how babies are made, some of what to expect at puberty, etc.), mention that some people like to be in relationships with people of the opposite gender, some like the same gender, and some like either one. Go on to say that not all boys are into typical 'boy stuff' and not all girls are into typical 'girl stuff', and that's ok.
    Ages 10-12, step 3: during the more detailed classes, reiterate in more detailed terms the fact that many people may have sexual feelings towards those of the same gender etc. and that this is normal. Explain the idea of being trans* or genderqueer to at least a basic level, depending on age and ability of the class. Encourage them to be respectful of other people and not to tolerate bullying based on (anything ever, but particularly) sexuality or gender identity. This includes sexism in either direction against non-LGBT youths, and gender stereotype-based bullying for those perceived as 'too effeminate/butch' for their gender.
    Ages 13-18, step 4: explain how to use protection for heterosexual and homosexual intercourse and what the dangers of various common STDs/STIs are, while being sure to emphasise that ANYONE can get ANY of those diseases/infections through sexual contact. Go into more detail about trans* people, explaining sexual reassignment and taking hormones.
    Ages 19+, step 5: if they don't get it by now, they probably never will. Nevertheless, if you encounter such a person, try to make them realise that SOME PEOPLE ARE LGBT and they should DEAL WITH IT, and other people's lives are none of their business anyway!

3. Perseus

I think it's a really good idea since my parents didn't teach me about it at all. It's also really good for kids to accept themselves since I personally spent a lot of time struggling.

4. My Junior High actually did teach it fairly extensively. Not so much sex ed for gays but a lot of terminology and just what the hell everything is. Like for example basic gay, straight bi but they went into issues/discrimination transexuals face and why they definitely aren't transvestites. But I get the impression that's definitely not happened at other schools

However they also did teach abstinence adamantly so...it wasn't perfect. They did balance it with lessons about contraceptives etc. so it wasn't all bad.