1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I went to AA

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by DhammaGamer, Oct 10, 2012.

1. BlackPhoenix135

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Congratulations! Sometimes just saying 'no' is all you need to do. :slight_smile: I'm very happy that you've taken such a huge step and are continuing to do well. Hang in there!
    I'm here if you ever need to talk. :slight_smile:

2. Friendly ghost

Congrats! Just try to get as often as possible, meeting makers make it! lol. One day at time though, you'll make it through. Fellow member myself.

3. DhammaGamer

Today is the 7th day for me. So far today, my dad, my brother, a girlfriend of mine, and a gay guy friend of mine have all either tried to convince me I do not have a problem, should drink, don't drink that much, should drink if I want to, or treated me weird for telling them I am a week sober. It would be fucking amazing if one person in my daily life, my friend and family, would just say "hey good for you". I want a fucking drink.

I have another meeting tomorrow. ugh

4. KaraBulut

Perhaps. But ultimately you're doing this for you, not for them.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A week is a great accomplishment! So congratulations. In spite of all the influences around you, you've made a decision for you. It sounds like the people around you are all threatened by your desire to be sober, and that's a pretty good sign that they have their own problems.

But as KB said... this is about you. Just remind yourself of that, keep going to the meetings, and make use of your sponsors. You're doing great!

6. foundthlight357

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm nine months sober through AA. Congratulations! It's hard at first, but it's worth it if you stick with it.

7. turtlestyle

turtlestyle Guest

I remember when my step brother called my famillies drinking into question!!!!

My mothers witty retort was that he was a drink stopper(oh soo comical, and something that made me love her a lot less as much as I hate to say it)

I've dealt with drinkers my whole life and they allways deny it! they just cant admit to having a problem. guess =I'm different in that I've gotten over thestages of denial sooo quickly!!!

---------- Post added 17th Oct 2012 at 09:51 AM ----------

You should also ty to keep your blood sugar up!!!

8. DhammaGamer

I was seriously considering giving up today. I felt like I don't have a real problem, and there's no reason why I shouldn't be able to have a beer with friends or something as long as I'm disciplined and watch myself. I was THIS close to drinking with a ftriend of mine who was anything but helping me as she drank wine and laughed about her own drining problems. The I went to my AA meeting tonight, and I am soooooo glad I did. I feel so much better, I am motivated, and I am still on track. I'm 1 week in and have a long way to go. Thanks for all the support everyone.

9. ClassicRock

Ever see The Town? That's my town. Charlestown.
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I remember going sober. It was so hard. I feel u dude! Keep going! It's hard as hell but sooooooooooooo worth it!

10. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's great that you were able to just stop and say "No, this isn't for me." They talk a lot in AA about that particular fallacy, which, for alcoholics, simply isn't an option.

Thank goodness you've got enough grounding now to get yourself to a meeting when those feelings come up. It all happens just one day at a time... :slight_smile:

11. Chrissouth53

WE all have those thoughts of "it's not that bad to drink" or "I'm just going to have one to congratulate myself". All we are trying to do is to justify to ourselves ANY reason to drink.

Stay strong. One day at a time (that's more than just a slogan). You can do it.

12. DhammaGamer

Today is day 14 without booze. By far the longest I've gone without drinking since my abstinence a year and a half ago. I continue to attend the AA meetings, and they are still very motivating. I continue to have serious craving every day. Last night was kinda tough. Keeping it up.

13. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is fantastic! It definitely gets easier as you go, and keeping up the meetings is crucial. As they say, as long as you keep working the program, the program keeps working for you :slight_smile: So... just one day at a time :slight_smile: And keep up the great work!

14. DhammaGamer

Today is day 23. Almost a month :slight_smile:

15. AlexisAnne

That is an awesome accomplishment! Reading through the past posts it seems like there were some struggles along the way, but you were strong enough to face them and keep on going. Congrats on staying sober this long and on having a personal strength that not everybody is fortunate enough to have :slight_smile:

Keep it up. I'm sure everybody here agrees that we're proud of you!

16. alwayshope11

Congrats all!!!

17. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Every day is a powerful step. And all the more so, given the fact that you're doing this without the support of most (or any) of your family and friends. I really admire you for sticking to it and continuing to work on improving your life!

18. Jim1454

I admire you as well. As a fellow addict I know how difficult it is. Stick with it.

It works if you work it, and you're worth it, so work it.

19. Eleanor Rigby

Congratulations sweetheart (*hug*) !!! I know how tough it is ! Keep in mind, every single day is a victory. You can be proud of yourself, I know I definitely am proud of you (*hug*).
    Keep it up ! And take good care of yourself, Cécile

20. Koan

Koan Guest

Having experienced alcohol abuse in my family, and what it does to people, I can only applaud your (and others) work on getting sober. You are on the right track.

Stay strong!