1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I went to a gay pub for the first time and it went fine!

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by lottaotter, May 28, 2022.

1. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I make so many negative threads I wanted to make a positive one for a change.

My housemate's friend who is gay is visiting and I suggested we go to a gay pub. I immedately regretted it since it was busy in my town that night due to a concert, and there was going to be two drag acts performing, but I made myself go anyway.

And it went OK! I'm actually proud of myself for going! I had to leave early because I had work the next day but it was mostly like a normal pub.

I did feel ugly being there compared to everyone else but that is something I struggle with constantly. I am going to try to go again. I also was intending to leave just before the first drag performance, but I ended up leaving just as it started- I hope it wasn't rude- I know there is so much etiquette around drag shows :/

I don't know what the purpose of me posting is- i just wanted to do a 'brain dump' I suppose after a new experience. I still don't want to go to the other gay venues in my city- they're very loud and party-orientated but the place we went to seemed more relaxed.

Nealg, Rayland and TinyWerewolf like this.
  2. PrettyBoyBlue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi @lottaotter, that's wonderful to hear man, congrats on another step in your journey!

I honestly don't know much about drag shows (never been), so I can't advise.. maybe someone else can. But I couldn't really imagine anyone being particularly upset.

As for other venues, you might be able to visit during the day, if they're open. I've heard a lot of spots can be pretty chill during the day.. could be a nice way to check out other places (in a much quieter setting!)

Thanks for your post, it's great to hear with anything that's going on for you, positive or negative.

lottaotter likes this.