1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to reach out to others but I am afraid

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by bkdub, Oct 9, 2012.

1. bkdub

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I told my Aunt that I am gay over the weekend. I'm almost positive she knew anyways. She told me about a place called PFLAG and there is one near my house. Only problem is it meets once a month and my Aunt lives in San Diego. I really would like to check it out next month but I don't have anybody to go with me. Is it a good idea to go alone or no? I thought going to a gay bar would be a good place to make friends and just talk to people but it wasn't. The only people who were talking to me hit on me and some even asked me for sex. My main worry about going is I will feel really ackward and out of place. More than antying I have wanted to attend GSA at my school. I've been too scared to go everytime. One of my teachers advises it and I know people from classes that go to it and they assume I am heterosexual. I am nervous talking about my sexuality with people I'm really close with. Personally, I don't even like going to the mall alone. I'm not sure if I could do this alone.

2. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's great to have other people to go to things with, but the way I see it is at the end of the day, all we have is ourself. It's good to get used to doing things and going places on your own, not to mention it feels quite liberating and like you accomplished something depending on what it is. A few weeks ago I attended my schools GSA by myself in order to check it out and try to make friends since I have none at the college I go to(I do outside of it though, except they're straight). It felt really good to say I was going to go to it and actually follow through. I am a bit different than you though in that I don't mind doing stuff by myself(eating out, going to movies, mall etc..) PFLAG would be a great place to start and you can definitely go by yourself and just listen.

---------- Post added 10th Oct 2012 at 03:05 AM ----------

I will also add that I was a lot like you before I had the guts to say screw always waiting on other people to do stuff with me and plan around them. And also it's great to be around other people like yourself, which I'm sure you'll find at either the GSA or PFLAG.

#2 Lance, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  3. Haley M

Haley M Guest

I know how you feel when it comes to doing things by yourself. I am the same way. I like to be with other people, I feel like it takes the spotlight off of myself. But, if you do get yourself to do these things on your own, then it should get easier over time.

4. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Sort of echoing what people have said already, but if you really feel uncomfortable going alone do you think you can get a friend to come with you? I myself have dragged one of my friends or family members to any new group I have gone to.

If that isn't possible, then I would strongly suggest pushing yourself to at least go to the PFLAG meeting. You might not meet a lot of younger people (its a group mainly parents), but you will find very supportive and loving people. Its also good practice for when/if you decide to go to your school's GSA.

I know its scary, but allow yourself to be brave for one day. One day is all it takes :slight_smile: