1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to move

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by XtReMeEnIgMa247, Feb 15, 2013.

1. XtReMeEnIgMa247

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok, so I got this gig coming up in April at a bar in Halifax and it's my first real gig. I got the confirmation about 2 months ago, and since then, I've been considering moving to the big city. This gig is to see if I get my own night. I'm still living in Cape Breton, where there's no music scene at all basically, so regardless of the outcome, I'd like to be somewhere I've visited frequently where I can pursue my dream, and maybe get a job if needed. After everything I've been through where I'm at, I feel I really should try this. What do you guys think? Should I at least give it a try?

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course you should, the twenties are exactly the time to step out into the world, and dare to fail, which is what I think you are afraid of...

Just always remember where you are from...Cape Breton is a particularly beautiful part of the country!

3. XtReMeEnIgMa247

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When would be the best time to break the news to my folks? Before or after I purchase my bus tickets?

4. Jacek

Do it!! I'm moving to Berlin from toronto:slight_smile: on my pre-move vacation right now:slight_smile: and I don't regret it at all so far. Live your life the way you want to. Tell your parents first but don't let them discourage you! Mine tried and are still trying-_- but it's important to follow through

---------- Post added 16th Feb 2013 at 12:19 PM ----------

Where are you moving to by the way?

5. XtReMeEnIgMa247

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^Planning on moving to Halifax since that's where my gig is.

6. Jacek

Then that's nothing! You'll still be really close to your family:slight_smile:

7. XtReMeEnIgMa247

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But when and how should I tell them, considering they'll be 4-5 hours away?

8. AKTodd

When: Over dinner is usually traditional for these sorts of things. You didn't say if you're living at home or not, but if not maybe ask to come over because you've got 'big news' or maybe invite them to lunch or brunch if you can swing it.

How: Something along the lines of:

"Mom, Dad, assorted siblings (if appropriate), I've got a gig in Halifax in April, and after thinking about it, I've decided that I'm going to use the opportunity to move there. There's a great music scene there, and I really think I can make a go of it. I'm already looked into job options if I need em and have found some living options online that look good and that I can afford. I know I'll be 4-5 hours away, but I've looked into it and I'm pretty sure I can come home during (insert times/places/situations when you can potentially come home for a visit). And maybe you can come up to visit me sometimes after I'm settled in. I know we'll all miss each other, but hey we'll only be a phone call/text/email/facebook/skype away from each other and that should help.

I just really feel that I've hit the age where it's time for me to go out on my own and start building my life and this gig in Halifax just seems like a good way to start. etc. etc."

Or something like that. Given your age, it's highly probable that your parents have it somewhere in their minds that some variation of this sort of event was going to come along sooner or later.

The big thing IMHO is that you go into it able to clearly demonstrate that you have given this serious thought and done the research to ensure/confirm that you know what you're getting into and have determined a solution for each challenge that a move to a new home entails (finding a place to live that you can afford and that is safe, jobs or job options, possible contacts or friends already there who your parents know or could feel would provide a sort of local 'safety net', how you're going to pay for things initially before you get a paycheck, etc.) then they seem much more likely to get on board with it.

Hope this helps,

Todd

9. XtReMeEnIgMa247

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just finished mentioning it to them, and they both seem to be on board with my decision.