1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to be a supporter, 'cause growing up having none is painful

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Helel, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Helel

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there, I am here after being turned down for a volunteer online counselling position in the UK, just because I am now currently outside of it (well, I thought for an online position, where I am shouldn't matter). I'm glad there is a safe place for international LGBTQ+ to meet online and I want to be a part of it.

I knew I was attracted to people of all genders since I was 5. It was really confusing when I found male, female, trans, gay, etc. people attractive. Nobody around me knew of the term "pansexuality", so they came up with the closest thing like "bisexuality" when I had a boyfriend, then a girlfriend. Even so, they still believed that me being attracted to people of different genders must be "a phase" or "curiosity".

I've started referring to myself as a pan since I was 16, as soon as I heard of it the first time, and came out as such publicly. Even then, people around me still believes that pansexuality is "not a really thing", "it must be some fancy love philosophy" or "aren't you just a bi?". :expressionless:

I also always feel like "a man" inside though I never want to change my body, so being genderqueer should be the proper term here. Though, just because I don't try to dress like a man, my people "believe" I must be a cis woman :face_palm: . It confused them even more, when I married another pansexual trans MTF. Even though my family know that we're both pansexual, they don't fully understand what it actually means. I spent two years explaining to my mom repeatedly "why I want to spend my love life with a transwoman" - why not a man or a woman. Everyone, from my parents, neighbours, to local police officers, believes that our marriage is "not romantic" "platonic" or even "fake", which is something that defiles our 13-year relationship badly.

I hope I will be able to help other people, especially the young ones, to understand more about themselves or people close to them. My partner and my brother (also a genderqueer) almost didn't survive being bullied during their childhood. They both still suffer from C-PTSD and depression. I survived mine, though I lost a couple-of-year worth of memories in exchange. I just want to be a supporter, so some people don't have to suffer like we did when people did not know better. I just want to be a supporter because I knew it was hard having no one. Where do I get started?

2. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Helel.....Hello and a great big LGBTQ+ welcome to Empty Closets! :old_smile: There are a number of sub-forums here on EC...why don't you check them out and then feel free to join in the conversations! We will do our best to be a support and a place to vent when you need it! :old_big_grin: We are so glad that you have found us here on EC!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

3. Minnie03

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for trying to help people.