1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I have schizophrenia

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Drowie42, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Drowie42

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    First off, I would like to say, I know how crazy this sounds, and it’s a pretty outlandish claim. But the truth is, I believe I might have stress induced schizophrenia. I am already diagnosed with ADHD. These are the main reasons,
    1.It’s not uncommon for me to randomly phase out in class, and just start manipulating things with my mind to make them animated. I also just sometimes shut down my mind, and can suddenly find my self encased with song and monsters. This exculsively happens when I’m too stressed.
    2. I can’t go outside alone(I’m still forced too though). When I do, I feel watched. Not by a person, but something else. Same goes for at night.
    3. I don’t trust people at all, minus a few close friends and family(even then sometimes I’m skeptical
    4. I don’t use bathrooms with a lock
    5. I don’t ever let sharp object face me- I have this inherint fear they fly out and stab me. Like, literally fly
    6. I can’t stand loud noises at night
    7. I’m terrified of aliens
    8. I can’t stand hearing noises from people walking in my house
    9. I Will sometimes(actually a lot) hallucinate when stressed
    10. I can hear 20 distinct voices, even when I don’t want too. They’re not mean
    11. I am told I’m too prideful
    I’m gay, and still closeted, and on top of that, a very stressed out teenager. I also haven’t told my parents about my problems.

2. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yea...if you're literally hearing 20 different voices in your head that talk to you that's extremely likely to be schizophrenia and you should definitely go see a psychiatrist about that as medication helps greatly for this. The rest of it sounds like an anxiety/paranoia disorder so it'd most likely be paranoid schizophrenia which is the most common type.

#2 Destin, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Other than #10, none of the rest would be strong indicators of schizophrenia, and even #10 would require a lot more evaluation as to what you mean by 'voices', what's being said, and so forth. Especially at age 14, all that you are describing could fit within the realm of ordinary teen angst.

In general, diagnosing yourself off of the Internet is an absolutely terrible idea. Proper DSM diagnosis requires a skilled mental health professional with extensive experience; there are a lot of disturbances and disorders, many of which have overlapping symptoms, requiring considerable skill to disentangle to come up with a clear diagnosis.

I would *not* suggest starting with a psychiatrist; if you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail, and psychiatrists are trained to identify and treat mental health disorders, so they often overdiagnose. A better bet would be to start with a therapist. If you don't want to talk to your parents about that, you may be able to speak with your school counselor at school, who might be able to evaluate you him/herself (many counselors are mental health professionals), or refer you to a professional in the school (social worker, psychologist, therapist) who might be able to evaluate you or at least determine if further evaluation is needed.

I can say with a pretty high degree of confidence that what you are experiencing (depending on the details of #10) is most likely well within the bounds of ordinary teen experience. But starting with a counselor at your school would be a good first place to start.

Silveroot and GhostBoi like this.