1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I really need help

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Josh23, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Josh23

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've been questioning for the longest time now and I think I need professional help. For the past couple months I've been questioning my sexuality and I've been looking all over the Internet for answers but I think it's time I get professional help. Can someone give me some info on who to contact so I can figure out my sexuality. I'm talking about like an actual person, a cerified doctor and what not. Someone please help, I'm only 18, I don't want anyone else knowing about this but me, so someone recommend something professional for me. Thanks.

Dylan1357 and Pinto like this.
  2. Tomás1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I suggest asking your school counselor. Or ask a teacher u trust to help u find someone.

Or look online at Psycology Today website, for local therapists. Then look for 1whose bio included lgbtq issues.

Search online for local therapists w lgbtq specialty.

Good luck!

Pinto likes this.
  3. Tomás1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Also Josh: decide whether u want to see a woman or a man, do u prefer a gay, lesbian, or straight counselor? U might have to speak or email to get this information. Probably someone gay or lesbian would state so on their website. A straight person likely would say that they don't think this matters. But it might matter to u!

Ask for a free consultation 1st - to see if you're comfortable - before committing.

Or u could post here on EC, what your issues are. U will likely get some good feedback. Even tho I've seen professionals for help on my sexuality, ultimately I had to inquire within, & figure out my own psychology, my history, & direction. Each of us is unique!

4. Josh23

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I would prefer the counselor to be male, because other men understand how male sexuality works and I would prefer that he would be straight, at the most bi, not gay. I need to talk to someone that has an attraction to women.

5. Tomás1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What kind of answers are you looking for?

6. Josh23

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I really just need professional confirmation on whether I'm straight, gay, bi or whatever. I'm tired of looking at everyone's opinions on the Internet, and I'm tired of continuously thinking about it, it's all I think about. It's making me depressed.

7. Lia444

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm going to my first therapy session on Sunday as I need help figuring things out too. I've been thinking about my sexuality for about a year and am still struggling. I'm not expecting her to tell me what I am though as I don't think they can but will help you by asking questions and make you think and talk about things to help get to the answer yourself or at least that's what I'm hoping. Deep down I think I know the answer but am too scared to acknowledge it so keep doubting myself. Anyway I think it will help if you can talk things through with someone. Contact a few people you like the sound of and have a chat to see if you would feel comfortable talking with them.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Psychology Today has an excellent database of therapists. That's where I'd go to find a therapist. But be aware that you don't go to a therapist, describe your feelings, and have them tell you that you are gay, or straight, or anything else. That isn't how it works.

Therapy is about discovering yourself and finding your own answers. A good therapist will help you explore your own feelings and come to your own conclusions. It takes time and work. It also isn't inexpensive... typically therapy is between $75 and $200 per session, though some therapists work on a sliding scale and will offer lower rates.

Now... if you want to talk about what's going on and what your concerns are, there are a lot of people here who can help you explore yourself and come to a conclusion in much the same way you'd do in a therapist's office. But nobody competent or ethical is going to tell you what you are, because no one is inside your head and able to do that.