1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need some advice, want to move to a new state.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Stridenttube, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Okay all of you wise people of EC, I need some advice!

I've lived in the same house in the same boring Oklahoma town for my whole life so far, and I want to move. More specifically Florida, and in a few years.

The thing is, I don't know how. I work in IT for a big company that I started a few months ago as my first ever job. I'm waiting to get a few years of experience under my belt first.

How should I go about this? How do I find another job where I want to move to without having to quit this one first? Do you think the job market will be better in three years? I don't want to wait too long because my best friend wants to move too and he would be a fantastic roommate. It's my dream to move there and I want to live there before I'm 30.

Any advice would be super duper awesome.

2. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Anybody? :confused::icon_sad:

3. LuvMyIB

Finding a job in the IT industry is going to be easier than most. There are many big companies down here that support IT departments. I am not sure what you do in your IT job but you should look into big companies down here. Do you know what section or part of Florida you want to reside in? That will be your first thought then you can go from there. When I moved here 15 years ago we looked online for apartments. Back then it wasn't as up to date as it is now. So finding a place won't be hard. We moved in to very nice condo. Remember things are more expensive here as far as cost of living. That is the only thing I do not like about Florida. (because everyone wants to move here due to weather)

Three years is a long time before you move so anything could happen. Why is your goal so far away? When we moved here we just had the two of us. We knew no one and did not have a job. We winged it. LOL Moving is scary when you lived you entire life in one area. But it also is fun and new. If you give me some ideas on where you want to move I can direct you to the right websites to get an apartment.

Good luck and hope your move is everything you hope it to be.

BTW we LOVE it here and would not trade it in for any other state. The only thing we miss is the mountain to hike but that is it. Shorts year round.... lol And we have a great big pride in Tampa Bay plus we attend gay day at Disney World every year.

#3 LuvMyIB, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  4. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

I'm waiting three years before I move so I can save up about 30k or so and pay off my Bimmer. That, and this is my first job and I want to get some experience in my belt. I'd move sooner but I think I may be taking over the network admin position in a year or so.

Do you think finding an IT job will be harder or easier in about three years? The guy who used to have my job moved to Texas and had a new job within a week. That the main concern is finding a new job.

Where would be the cheaper places to live? I kinda want to live somewhere in the panhandle because Pensacola is my favorite city.

Thanks a ton for replying!