1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by alloftime, Jun 27, 2017.

1. alloftime

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My school are opening a LGBT support group and I don't know if I should join or not. I go to a relatively small school and I know a couple of people in my class are extremely homophobic and even though the group would be confidential I would still be living in the fear that people would find out. I really don't know what to do. Does any one have any advice ?

2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey alloftime,

Joining a group like that certainly carries some of risk of being involuntarily Outed.

Won't your parents either have to give permission or at least quite possibly find out that you are attending meetings of this support group?

If the group allows Allies to attend - not just LGBTQ students- you could possibly attend the meetings under the guise of being an LGBTQ Ally. However, even that may put some suspicion on you if family and/or friends find out that you are attending such meetings.

Honestly, your best course of action may be to simply not join the support group until you are comfortable enough to start Coming Out or at least comfortable enough that if you are involuntarily Outed, it won't be a major issue for you.

Just some thoughts.

Luka99 likes this.