1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I KNOW this shouldnt bother me, but it does.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicIsLife, Jul 26, 2008.

1. MusicIsLife

okay so this all started last week when my guy friend came over. Hes gay, and i met him at a lgbt teen meeting and we became friends that way. So then today, roughly a week later my aunt comes over.

Now i do not know how she found out, but she knows im gay, and she thinks its a phase like my black hair and piercings and whatever.

Anyway, my mom told her that i had "a boy in my bedroom" so i told my aunt that hes gay, and the first thing out of her mouth was, "He could switch teams!"

Augh im so irritated, like, shes got gay friends but when it comes to me its like they're just comfused straight people or something. I'm so sick of it.

/endrant

2. biisme

I'm sorry. That does sound like it would be really irksome. Have you tried talking to her about it?

3. Derek the Wolf

Remember, it's not her fault. A lot of people still think that homosexuality is a choice or a phase. She just doesn't understand the situation you're in. Try to explain it to her, or if you're not comfortable with that, you'll have to accept that she just won't understand.

4. MusicIsLife

I once tried to talk to her about it but it sounded really pathetic cause i was in complete shock at the time that she knew. Im planning to talk to her again, but i might ask my mom to help me, cause my mom is really supportive of me, and she knows how my aunt will react to things better than i would.

5. Derek the Wolf

It's good to hear your mom is supportive. It would be best for you both to talk to her, because your aunt most likely respects your mother more and will listen to what she says with more conviction.
    Don't take anything I say too seriously right now. I'm uber tired.

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Sorry to here that. It can be a bit irritating but it could very well be (as Derek) indicated that it is something that your aunt might still have to get used to. Try to let these kinds of comments not bother you. It is great that your mom is supportive. I think it is a good idea to ask your mom for help/support when you talk to your aunt again.

7. jony8472

Fair enough that is bothers you.

Don't worry, she'll come around to it eventually=)

8. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not uncommon for family, especially those who are close to you to be in denile at first and think it's a "phase" or something but after a while most people come around to accept it. Maybe talking it out would do some good. Hope this helps.