1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have some good news

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lottaotter, Sep 22, 2021.

1. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not sure this is the right section for this, but I've noticed how miserable all of my other posts have been, and I finally had some good things happen.

I don't even mind if no-one's interested but the advice and support of other users on here has definitely been a help.

I asked the guy who I met at a volunteering thing to go for a drink, he seemed keen and I gave him my number. I was getting so frantic and depressed since I hadn't seen him for ages, and was sure he'd find someone else (my Gaydar is nonexistent). I won't pretent I won't be disappointed if he doesn't contact me (now to spend the next week worrying that I typed the wrong number into his phone...) or if he just wants to be friends, but I am so proud of myself for it. Seems a bit pathetic maybe because I'm in my late 20's, but I've only ever met guys off apps before and don't have any gay male friends, so it's a big thing for me.

The other thing is that I contacted my doctor again about feeling depressed/anxious/suicidal thoughts and self-harm...... And she was really helpful and compassionate about it. I've tried counselling/therapy three times and this medically-trained doctor (they have a reputation for not taking mental health so seriously, especially from men) was more compassionate than all three counsellors put toghether! I feel like I am finally going to get myself the help I need. I've done a lot of work myself over the years (been struggling with depression for 15+ years and not-normal levels of anxiety as long as I can remember) but I hope that this (medication + counselling) will give me the boost I need to help myself even more.

I just wanted to share, also to have a written record for when I feel sad again (because although I feel great right now, I'm preparing for a 'down') to show that I can do things.

And if you are thinking of going to your GP about mental health problems (I can only speak for the two doctors I have spoken to in the UK, but I think things are changing) then I would say it is worth a go- they might surprise you, especially if - like me - you tend to give therapists a wide berth.

2. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have seen your posts before and never really commented, because I didn’t have any helpful advice and that made sad, that I can’t help, but I wanted to say that it’s very good to hear that you are doing better and I am rooting for you.

It’s not pathetic at all. Good job on giving him your number, that’s a very good start. I hope it goes very well for you.

You are doing so well. It’s definitely a good thing to contact your doctor. You have done lots for yourself already and that you want to do even more is really, really good.

Good luck to you.

3. FireFox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Nothing really to add but what I will say is a big well done :grinning:

#3 FireFox, Sep 22, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  4. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Those are both big steps. I'm proud of you for those.

5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the update. I think you have done really well. There is a book called Feel the fear and do it anyway and it seems to me you have done just that. I know there was some fear and reticence about asking the guy you like to go for a drink, but you have pushed through all of that and done it. You really had nothing to lose.

I think GP's are getting much better at dealing with mental health patients and it's just as a shame they are so pressed for time. The younger GP's tend to understand the need for continuity of care and they seem to have greater sensitivity and empathy and that's often all that's needed. I still think they are a bit quick to prescribe antidepressants sometimes, but that's another issue. Patients tend to trust their GP's and that's often half the battle when dealing with mental health. A good GP with some basic counselling skills can actually do a lot of good.

Nothing pathetic in what you wrote. I think you've shown that you can dig deep and keep going with a bit of support and encouragement and I hope we've played a part in that.

6. caden0803

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people

#6 caden0803, Sep 23, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
  7. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks everyone.

Since I gave that guy my number two days ago he hasn't messaged me, which does suck as I'd have been happy to for a drink and just see if we clicked as friends (we seem to have a fair but in common, plus he made a point of coming and finding me before he left to get my number, but whatever). Yesterday I felt naff about it but last night I started to feel better. I had the balls to ask him out face-to-face, and yet he doesn't feel he can give me an honest answer about not being interested, so I 'm letting myself feel a little self-righteous about that!

Might be a bit awkward as we we see each other at the volunteering. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it- I'm not gonna go out of my way to talk to him, but I'll still be friendly.

I do really want to date (not on apps) but right now getting some things sorted with my mental health is more crucial.

Thanks again everyone. It's very weird to hear people feel proud of me but I am trying to accept this strange, happy feeling I have when I read those messages.