1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have Selective Mutism

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ShaeShay, Jun 19, 2016.

1. ShaeShay

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I had always struggled with Selective Mutism throughout my life. In my earliest school years, I couldn't talk in select social situations (e.g. school) because of the fear of talking. However, in a comfortable setting such as home with my immediate family, I chatted non-stop like I was starving for interactions. I was mislabeled as shy. When others pressured me to talk, I felt even worse, giving me the choking feeling. It was that the words had been left locked in my mind, my throat closed, and my lips were glued shut. Without treatment, I continued to have SM while the anxiety developed something more difficult ... depression. I then could talk but only when somebody asked me a question. During my current stage of life, I still suffer from SM; although, I made some big steps.

2. thrashgal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    what exactly is sm?

3. I'm_Danni_x

People with selective mutism genuinely cannot speak because attempting speech rouses too much anxiety. It's important to understand that when the mutism happens, the person is not voluntarily refusing to speak but is literally unable to speak, feeling frozen. In time, they learn to anticipate the situations that provoke mutism and do all they can to avoid them. Almost all children and adults with Selective Mutism would love to be able to speak in every situation they cannot. They are not making their difficulties up, being difficult, rude, antisocial, or anything else.

4. thrashgal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    awww im sorry that would be so hard to deal with...hang in there life will take care of u, sumtimes we ask ourselfs "why me" but there is a greater plan for each and everyone of us, sumday we will learn why, for now just close ur eyes to it and have faith for what lies ahead...(&&&) thats all any one of us can really do no matter what hand we were dealt (*hug*)