I hate cultural appropriation

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by edy, Mar 19, 2016.

1. springroll

springroll Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah, I might be a bit harsh in my words. It's not like I'm going out of my way to offend someone's culture. Gosh, that would actually require effort. I do things if they are fun to do. Although, 'fun' might be offensive to some.

2. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
  3. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe I'm cruising out of my lane, but skull makeup is different from sugar skulls. So technically, there's no appropriation going on.

4. springroll

springroll Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I just watched that vid! The way the white guy spoke like a hommie was absolutely hilarious :roflmao:
    It was somewhat disturbing that the black girl tried to stop him from leaving, then seconds later "get your hands off me!".

#64 springroll, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  5. iiimee

Sorry if this comment seems offensive but... Cultural appropriation is stupid.
    As said in the comments before, imitation IS the sincerest form of flattery, and if you have a problem with somebody doing something another culture originally did, you have a right to be offended, but please remember that they have a right to how they express themselves. Whether it's offensive or not shouldn't really matter because of this right, but for argument's sake, let's separate those two.

If they're doing it to mock another culture... Okay, I get it: That's bad, but again, you shouldn't be able to censor people's hate, just like you shouldn't be able to censor their love. Now, there are exceptions of course. For example, symbols of bigotry have no place on government buildings. Anyway, you can always debate this point more I'm sure, but for now I'm going on to my next point.

If they're not doing it with intentions to mock another culture... Well, who says we can't? Once again, they have a freedom to express themselves. People are not cultures, and I figure that any transgender person or person in drag should know this. After all, somebody can argue that a person is their sex, just like those who support cultural appropriation seem to think people are their cultures. You wouldn't appreciate it if somebody said a person had to stick to their biological sex's appearance, would you? If not, then I don't see how you could support somebody saying a person should stick to the cultures they grew up around and never embrace another one. I know that being transgender isn't a choice, but neither are the cultures you grew up around. Sure, it's a choice to embrace a new one, but it's also a choice to transition, isn't it?

6. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's also important to note that sugar skull make-up has flowers, as flowers are an important part of the make-up in their culture. The Lady Gaga make-up has no flowers.

7. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cultural appropriation doesn't really exist. There are some situations where people may mock, or blatantly disrespect another culture, but that's just disrespect--there's no need for this term that can combine somebody being blatantly racist and people just being people (i.e. watching anime, or having a certain hairstyle). It's really not a big deal.

8. Ryu

Ryu

So I can't play blues because I didn't pick cotton on the Mississippi Delta? I can't play country 'cause I'm not a cowboy? I can't enjoy Reggae because I'm not a rastafarian?

I'm fine with it as long as you know what it is you're doing.