1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I fell into my own trap

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Kwadeng, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Kwadeng

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi guys,

It’s the age old story of a gay man falling for a potentially straight dude.

This guy and I used to work in the same office-building years ago and he always used to stare at me. He was cute and back then I fancied him.

Then a few months back, I bumped into him in a plane and jumped at the opportunity to actually meet him. I didn’t even know his name before that. It’s been 6 months now, we’ve become close friends and the friendship has now turned into an overly close relationship which I find unhealthy because it is eating me away. My friend is married and does not give off any gay vibe, that I can pick up. However, he is so keen on me I can’t help but wonder what is going through his mind. He starts calling me at 7 on his way to work, then we speak like 10 times every day, text each other all day long, see each other almost every day after work... Since I have fallen in love with him in the process, it’s become a drain on my nerve and I just feel tired.

Having read a lot of posts about “unrequited crush on straight friend”, I know better than telling him that I love him and risk the friendship, which I sincerely value. I’m prepared to acknowledge that he is straight and will never love me back the way I love him, but how do I stop him from involving me in his life more than is necessary and move the relationship to a healthier level?

Truth be said, I was more than happy to play along until I realised there is really no hope.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Perhaps it's just me, but how much can your friendship mean to him if it wouldn't keep together after you told him "I have feelings for you and I can't resolve them until I know how you feel."

Seriously, that isn't hypothetical, I genuinely don't know.

3. Kwadeng

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I get your point, ElliaOtaku, but wouldn't you feel uncomfortable if one of your best friends made a pass at you?