1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i feel sick with guilt

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by livi, Dec 9, 2013.

1. livi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    First time i came out to my parents.. They seemed completely fine and loving..
    Im not sure myself what happened but over the weekend, every little thing i disagreed with (even which walk i wanted to stick a poster on in my room) they were shouting at me for.. And just because i wanted to stick a poster on the left wall not the right, my dad stormed out and my mum said i was an "ungrateful cow". I went downstairs for lunch and my mum was sat there on her phone and i said "thanks for the food" and she was completely blanking me. So i asked her why she wasnt answering and she said "because im ignoring you. I dont want to speak to you." it was obviously making my little brother uncomfortable so i decided to go upstairs so my brother diddnt have to suffer for it, and for an hour nobody came in. After the hour while i was watching tv (and quite frankly id forgotten about it) my dad came in and started shouting at me about being disrespectful so i stood up for myself and said "i dont get any respect. You use hand gestures instead of talking to me like im some dog. Respect works both ways.. I csnt respect you if you cant respect me"
    and my dad said "i think youre forgetting that i pay the bills and i put a roof on your head. You dont own anything here because i paid for it. And i dont have to be respectful to you because im the parent and you do as i say regardless. I have no respect for you."
    he then went on to say that
    My mum diddnt actuslly take my coming out well
    id put a huge strain on their marriage
    my mum had to leave work early because she was so upset
    hes glad i felt like killing myself
    My mum was blaming herself
    Ive put my mum in an awful mindset
    ive disappointed him
    and id done it at a terrible time because i was only thinking about myself

now i feel so guilty and upset that i cant focus on anything.. I have lots of tests this week.. Im going to fail because all that plagues my mind is how guilty and depressed i am about this.. I wish i hadnt told them..

#1 livi, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  2. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am just so sorry that you feel this way (*hug*) I can't say that I know what you are going through, but it seems like the shift from okay to angry and silent is a behavior that they are going through the stages of grief. They may be feeling as though they have lost their daughter, I can't say this is for certain but more the likelihood is that they will change their attitudes if they have enough time.

Stay strong and please feel free to come to us if you ever need to talk about it

3. blueberrymuffin

Hey, don't for a moment think it's your fault how they react. That's their own problem. I know it takes a lot to absorb that level of criticism from parents, but one thing you will learn over time as you tell others: It is NOT your fault if they just can't handle it. You didn't create any strain. They did that themselves, and what they're doing is psychological abuse.

Try to focus on your tests then deal with it. Whatever motivation helps. Do well in spite of them. I know it's rough, but you can always talk to someone about this. Maybe a counselor can help.

4. Envira

Oh my gosh! That sounds awful. Well, look. Talk to your friends about it. Tell them everything. It can be just one person, but you have to get this off your chest.

None of this is your fault. And if you choose to, you could probably go live with a friend for a while.

5. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You did nothing wrong. You were honest and truthful to your parents. You told them something they need to know. They are being jackasses and drama queens instead of supportive loving parents. I know it is going to be miserable for you for a while, but only because your parents are behaving badly, not because of you. IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT that they are; go to your room and study for your exams, or go to a friend's house if you have someone to study with. Don't let their lousy behavior make you feel bad. Any father who would say that he is glad you felt like killing yourself isn't worth pissing on. If you need to, call for help from your local child support services, and tell them about the abusive treatment you are receiving from your parents; if it isn't outright illegal where you live, it should be. A school counselor may be able to help you find the support you need locally.

6. phoebe

i am so sorry about how your parents reacted and as you said the respect goes both ways. why don't you se if you can stay at your friends for a few days?? stay strong! xoxo

7. decadus

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    It seems like ive read a lot of stories similar to this, that is just fucked up. Seems like you are just a scapegoat for their other problems.

8. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What he said.