1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel helpless and trapped

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by croftrs147, Sep 23, 2019.

1. croftrs147

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The other day my dad talked about a bunch of transphobic shit the other day, and it's not like that's abnormal, but for some reason it's really been sticking with me and I can't stop thinking about it. He basically was mocking the trans community and shaming people who support it, and I was just sitting there trying not to cry while the rest of my family laughed along. I feel so helpless. I feel like I can't say anything without a) outing myself or b) getting yelled at/ scorned. I don't know why the things he said are sticking with me so much. I don't know why it's bothering me more than usual. But I feel trapped, because I can't be who I am, nor can I stick up for myself.

2. Really

Hey @croftrs147 ,

That’s really rough. I’m sorry you have to experience that. Does your family belong to any minority by any chance? Could you indirectly stand up for yourself by asking them, “How would you like it if people said that about us being X?” It could be anything, really, but it might make them think twice about throwing insults around so casually. People are just people and judging them based on one known characteristic is cruddy. Maybe it needs to be spelled out for them. See if you can flip it around for them and see how that works. Even if it doesn’t change anyone’s mind, I’ll bet it will make you feel a little better for having stood up against it.

Hang in there. :muscle: You’ve got this.