1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't understand

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Tohru-Chan, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Tohru-Chan

So this has started bothering me a lot lately, although it's been happening for years. Sometimes someone will be talking to me, and I'm listening 100%, but it's like what they're talking about constructs itself in a completely different way in my head.

It's especially difficult at work, because I am told to do something, and whatever my boss is saying makes sense to him and to others, but I imagine what he's telling me to do as something else. So I ask for clarification a lot. And sometimes I just go and do whatever I think he was telling me to do, and it ends up being wrong.

It makes me look.. dumb, I guess. I consider myself to be an intelligent person. I just don't understand what people are talking about most of the time and it's really started bothering me. Sometimes people will snap at me when I ask them to repeat themselves.

Does anyone else deal with something like this? Or is there anything I can do to understand people better?

2. lostluvr

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    haha!! i totally do this..it makes me feel retarded sumtimes lol..but whatever..like my coworkers will be trying to explain sumthing to me and its completly over my head..im a visual learner i have to see what theyre talking about its as if words dont make sense in my head lol..sumtimes i just agree so that i dont have to have them explain twenty million times lol..but really i just explain that im a visual learner and i have to see what theyre talking about..then once i get it and i understand i can master it..i drive a forklift at work and ive never driven one before but now im just as fast and good as sum of the guys and its baraly been three weeks..lol..id say just ask them if they can show u visually what u need to do or atleast explain it better..if that doesnt help just ask hella questions dont be afraid to look dumb by askin questions ull look dumber doing the wrong thing all the time..haha no offense tho happens to me allll the time

3. sweetfemme90

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There is something called auditory dyslexia, diagnosed by a psychologist
    Auditory Dyslexia

Personally I do not have this condition but a friend of mine does. For me though, I do experience that. I always take things step by step. Being an absent-minded person is difficult so when I receive verbal instructions I will write something down and repeat it back to the person who asked me to do something. Remember if a person reacts with frustration you are not responsible for how they feel or react. They are responsible for their own reactions. You are asking for clarification because you have difficulties understanding verbal instruction by the sounds of things. Asking for clarification is very important, it means you want to do the right thing and do the job as asked.

4. lostluvr

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    well for me i understand words and stuff they dont get jumbled in my head i get what people are talking about its just confusing when they try to explain sumthing with me not having any idea what theyre relating to..for instance: the guys at my work were talking about how the ends of the forks on a lift can move while torwards the back theyre more stable..so when u go to drop off a pallet and ur forks get stuck off to the sides not in the place where its guided for them u have to pull out more then turn as u pull so that they drop in the slot..i heard what they were saying and got it but it took them showing me by moving the ends of the forks then trying to move the beginning of the forks to understand..idk maybe people just suk at explaining things..another thing i do is zone out analysing their facial features instead of listening..haha..idk if this is what the original poster does as well..