1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't understand

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Anonymous, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nitro

If I may interupt, I have some suggestions that could be implemented.

To address the OP problem, there seems to be a post centric "culture" or mindset within EC. Obviously this doesn't apply to everybody but it's presence can be felt. The reason for this is quite clear - titles and priviledges seem to be granted according to post count solely. As a newbie what goal is immediately presented? to reach 10 posts and join in the chat. Obviously this filter was put in place for good reason but may I suggest a time factor be added in a way that does not suggest a minimum post rate. Say 10 posts and 3 days having signed up? [incidently 3 days is the time wikipedia requires before editors are allowed to edit semi-protected pages] The upshot of this should be practical - stoping random people from spamming and chatting, but more importantly a change in EC culture to value not only post count but time the person has been here.

I don't know how far this idea can or should be applied, but using when newbies are just starting out might give them a healthier perspective on how ec should function.

As for the whining:

Paul, you command a great deal of respect here. With that in mind, I am sure that if you published an edict that stated that all EC complaints should go in the Feedback section (unless it is a specific problem about a mod - in which case other channels would be more appropriate) and NOT in the anon section, ECers would respect your wishes. Seeing that people would no longer be clothed in a veil of anonymity said individuals would be more likely to post politely, in good faith, and hopefully be more inclined to offer constructive suggestions.

2. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    When did I ever say I didn't care about EC or was ungrateful of all the time and effort the mods put into EC? I am so glad the mods are here and they do great things. And I am insulted by the fact you think I am take the mod team for granted and that I don't care. And some of these threads have been bitching but we are too quick to label them all as that and so now we are "ignoring them" which to me seems like a bad thing. I want to say again I am not trying to offend anyone, I'm not saying I don't care about the mods work because they do great things for EC and have made it amazing.

#22 AzThRg0, Apr 26, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  3. Emile

Emile Guest

I'm the OP.

Well, if it's how you take it... I didn't think this thread would go this far, but it looks like it hurt people, even though it wasn't my point AT ALL.

I don't know if I'll ever post again on EC, I don't think I'll feel comfortable doing so.

#23 Emile, Apr 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2008
  4. Zak

Zak

I care...and Im looking foward to the pdates to Ty. I didnt see the 101 posts in a row(lol...total spammage) and if I did, I would have reported it. Paul...I understand why your pissed. It is irritating meh too.

5. Ty

Ty Guest

tl;dr

When did I aim it at you ? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It sounded like you did. No one said they didn't care about Paul

7. Connor

Connor Guest

But he never said "OMG, Behling said such and such". So he aimed nothing at you.

8. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Well by title the EC Feedback is the obviously place for such threads. Anon is part of the Support section so is obviously NOT the right place for them, as they are not support or health related. I do not see the need for an edict to state the obvious.

9. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    But no one said they didn't care. I never read a post that said, "well Paul and the mod team do nothing" becuase I'm pretty sure no one thinks that. We are all so glad the mod team is here for EC

10. Ty

Ty Guest

But alot of past posts in other threads have been quite bitchy and over critical of the Mod's. Thats what Im aiming it at. Don't jump to conclusions, babe ^_^

11. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    lol ok, but same goes for you :wink:

12. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    (*hug*) (*hug*) This whole argument has gone too far if people are leaving. Please don't go Emil. EC will miss you. Can we all stop fighting?

#32 AzThRg0, Apr 26, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  13. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay peeps, this has kind of shot off into a "he says she says" direction. Now that the whole 'who aimed what at whose penis' malarcky has been sorted, maybe it's time to get back on topic? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Either that or this joins the ranks of lockness. :grin: But yeah, discusssssssssssssion. I feel like i am stuck in a gheys blame game. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. Zak

Zak

I agree, this thread has gone off topic and needs to re-adjust iself

15. Defraction

These kinds of threads scare me. :frowning2:

I rarely post in the F&G section (nor much of the forum because I rarely have something to say) and so I don't notice the spamming and stuff. I'm not sure how people get rewarded apart from the custom title at 500.

If you look at someone's post count, your first thought may be "S/he seems pretty active and well known". However, you don't know how that person got those posts, and so all it takes is to look at what that person is posting (there is a function for that on the profile I believe) and see what kind of things they post (e.g. discussion, helpful advice, or spam :slight_smile:).

At least this way you can clarify how a person uses this forum and see whether their post count represents their activity or their spammage.

I'm not saying that only posting in the F&G section is wrong, because everybody uses this forum in different ways. But spammers should be caught and warned because in any forum they are not looked up to.

Is making the post count viewable by profile only still an option? As others may have said, at least this makes it so you only see their name and you don't have any form of "prejudice" because of his "spammy looking" post count. :grin:

(( Sorry if I've contradicted myself in this post, overall I mean: look at the issue rather than labelling people as moaners and groaners. And the ones that keep moaning - make sure it'll help rather than cause frustration for the mod team. :slight_smile: ))

16. biisme

First off: I didn't report 101 spams, simply b/c I wan't online when this happened. So, that's my reason, b/c I know you are very confused by the incredible lack of help in stopping the spamming.

Also, I too am quite sick of hearing people moan about EC, and listening to the same sentiments over and over again posted with anger or bitterness without any help-simply people just wishing for everything to meet their expectations without them doing anything or saying anything CONSTRUCTIVE. The people that post suggestions and are trying to help are the people who are already contributing a a lot to this site.

Paul, I really appreciate all you do for this site, and I know that we don't even see/know all you do and all the hard work you put into it. I'm really grateful you've been so tolerant and caring to everyone.

I am one person who I guess could get viewed as a spammer, considering I post so much, but I don't try to stop any threads or get in anyone's way, and I'm sorry if I have.

17. Grof142007

It not Spamming Just enjoying each other company meh Bigger the Post Count Bigger the Penis... it a joke people seriously "Some people posts useful and interesting posts" that usually in the support advice section It's one thing to post in the Fun and Games section a few times a day, but to post in it dozens and dozens of times a day... it's pointless. it fun find out what the next person is going to say and if ur at school great distraction just another way of getting to know the community

18. Tim

Tim

Posting in the F&G forum is there for just that, to be fun. If you end up having fun with one person in a thread, then it can go on a while.

Though, I'm kinda surprised that the F&G forum doesn't have that option Posting in this doesn't boost your post count, just to stop people from being annoyed at it :astonished: lol.

19. Emile

Emile Guest

I strongly suggest that you re-read my first post :tantrum: .

Anyways, I won't bother anyone else on EC, I'm leaving. I'm also sick of this.
    Minus one member.

20. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well they may not have suggestions biisme, which is why they made the thread. They could want others input and help and ideas. You can identify what you think as a problem and not be able to think of a solution, in which case you would ask for help and the ideas and poinions of others which is what Emil was doing. And please don't go Emil. Please please please (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.