1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't know how to help

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by KatJ005, Oct 16, 2019.

1. KatJ005

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My boyfriend is transgender but his mom is transphobic and homophobic. He hasn't come out to her yet, but she's suspecting that he's trans. His mom told him that he isn't allowed to hang out with any of his LGBTQ+ friends anymore and some other stuff. From what he's told me, it seems very likely that his mom is going to disown him and maybe even kick him out of the house. I really want to help but I don't know how to. He said he doesn't want me calling the police or anything because he doesn't want any one to be arrested, but I feel that I need to contact someone with some kind of authority. What do I do??????

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If he goes to the same school you do, and you have supportive people (teachers, guidance counselors) at your school, that would be the first place to go. The catch is... you're in NC, and that isn't the most liberal place, so I'm not sure how supportive your school personnel will be.

Another option, if you are near a major city, is to see if there's an LGBT center nearby, and they will likely have social workers that can help.

Your friend's mother can't legally disown her because she's trans, but of course, if she rejects her, then staying at home isn't going to be a good option. This is where a social worker or school counselor can help, as they will be able to get the resources needed to find your friend a safe place to stay. It's also possible those folks can work with your friend's parent(s) and try to get them to understand that rejecting their child isn't the right option.

Please let us know if we can help further.