1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I disagree with the term Feminist....

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Epiphany101, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Foxface

true feminism is equality...not what some have turned feminism into

Foxface

2. Minx

I have never really liked the title. Mainly because a lot of people abuse it.

Then again, people abuse just about everything. Titles/labels/identity etc. :shrug:

3. Ridiculous

People complaining about the word feminism and saying it should be changed sounds like an excellent allegory of what feminism is fighting against.

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    [​IMG]

5. Minx

*tilts head* :eusa_eh: :confused: x_x

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It just seems like a lot of people have been responding to these two threads with some variation on "I'm not a feminist because of unnamed, vague things that some feminists are doing somewhere."

In order to be counted as good reasons, these claims need to be brought out in detail. Like with a specific event or law, along with a self-described feminist who advocated for the law or approves of the event. I know that you guys care, but I can't have a dialogue with my brothers about what worries them with feminism if they don't tell me what their worries are.

I feel like a lot of people are relying on pretty unresearched definitions here.

That's why I've "citation needed" people twice so far...

#26 Pret Allez, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  7. biggayguy

I actually do believe in equal pay for equal work, equal job titles, generous maternity leave and generally treating women well all around. I believe women should not be talked down to when shopping for a car, going to the doctor or other traditionally male institutions.

8. Minx

Ah, I see. :slight_smile:

My point was that I really shouldn't have a problem with the term since people abuse everything on this planet. That's just what some people do.

I was basing my experience on my time as an moderator/admin for a small lgbt chat-room. (Which was fraught with users abusing the term in defense of their abuse to other members.) ^-^ Some awful people out there who will take advantage of anything, corrupting and warping the very image they claim they represent.

9. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    people saying feminism should be 'open to mento be successful' entirely miss the point of feminism

10. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This pops up too much, and it is just a bunch of people who haven't encountered people who voice the concerns most feminists have.

Feminism can go, as a name, when the words and phrases such as "sissy" and "you kick like a girl" go, when rape is never excused with "her skirt provoked me", when nobody objects to a woman in high office on the grounds of her being a woman, and when women are no longer objectified and demeaned by pop culture. If you think that that will happen any time soon, you need to get your head out from under the rocks.

Feminism does help men too, but until femininity is seen positively, equalism is a term that refuses to acknowledge the basic truth of the situation: our society oppresses women, or anyone who is perceived as feminine.

#30 Aussie792, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  11. Exactly. It's a shame how often the term Feminist is misunderstood or twisted, but to me and all the people I know who identify as Feminists it simply means believing in complete equality.

---------- Post added 13th Jun 2013 at 11:21 PM ----------

This.
    Is there anything more you can say?

12. someguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with what is said here, but I like the term equalism better. I think everyone regardless of race, colour, gender identity, creed or sexual orientation should be treated equally. I am all for women being in fields that are traditionally heavily male dominated like engineering. I follow the the Linux kernel development closely and I am happy to see a few woman contributors, the best example being Linux xhci support (USB 3.0) was contributed by a woman who works for Intel. Girl geeks are awesome. As for "sissy" "kick like a girl" people who say that are just plain stupid. I also think that gender roles, conformity, stereotypes and negative traits are plain stupid. Everyone should be connected with their sensitive side or as male chauvinists are inclined to say "girly side", there would be less conflict in the world. As for the for "her skirt provoked me", while there are dumb people who do think like that, rape is more about domination and power. Seriously I think their no excuse for rape whether it happens to a man or a woman, and if someone raped my sister I would kill them. So excuse me if I don't like the term "feminist".

13. 2112

A "manist", or technically a masculist, believes that men are superior to women, not that they should be equal or have problems that need to be fixed. History is full of them.

Also, a feminist doesn't have to be a woman. Anyone who wants women to be equal to men is a feminist, so I'd say I am one too.

14. sammyjane72x

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the modern day you can be a male feminist. I think newer waves of feminism acept that the patriarchy can harm men in the sense they are societally pushed and peer pressured into being some big ole touch guy.

Machismo culture is a large problem in the equality for women because if men can understand that their maleness is not under threat if they choose not to be the over masculine sterotype. Yes a boy or man who does not exhibit this full on machismo bravado may be teased in school or the pub (delete as appropriate) bur if they can be strong enough to tell those type to "go think whatever they like" and just be themselves and still be% male even if a few say not

We still live in a word where the female person is not held at such a high value. One the whole we are not paid as much as men in some countries. Men get listened to a lot more and a lot easier. There are a fair amount of ways where a male can be naturally more privileged.

#34 sammyjane72x, Jun 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2013