1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I came out to my parents!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by analogue, Aug 23, 2017.

1. analogue

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I live away for university and really wanted to tell my parents in person. Pride week happens in July in my city and I wanted to participate in the events this year because I'm finally at a point where I'm comfortable in my sexuality. I wanted to be able to share some photos online but didn't want to hide it from my parents, and I wouldn't be seeing them until late August (just got back from visiting them this week).

It went just as well as I could have hoped! I asked them to video call one night to talk travel options, and decided that I would tell them that night (this was early July). My mom went "Okay." I knew they'd be okay with it, but it was still hard at first. My family is close, but not in a way where we will talk about personal stuff.

I feel so much better after telling them. Next step is to tell my grandparents, and that one will probably be by email. I'm kind of worried, but after talking to my mom I feel much better. My grandma will have a harder time with it. I'm sure it will be hard for my grandpa but he will probably be more accepting sooner.

ladykiki likes this.
  2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations analogue!:thumbsup:That took courage! I'm happy that it went well!:slight_smile:

It sounds like you mom just needs some time to understand what you told her - remember, you've had your whole life to figure out your sexuality.

3. ladykiki

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aw congratulations! It's such a terrifying conversation whether you know you'll be supported or not, well done! :blush: