1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I came out to my mom. It didn't go well. How do I cope?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Justbeingjam, Jan 28, 2024.

1. Justbeingjam

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm transmasc. I have autism. I'm an adult. I live with my mom and I have 2 sisters. My older sister lives in her own apartment.

So I came out to my mom a few weeks ago. She doesn't understand me or accept me at all. She thinks that I'm a tomboy or a lesbian or confused or something. She said why can't you just be gay. She keeps calling me girl, daughter, she/her, my birth name. She said don't change your name. She won't let me wear what I want to or change my hair or buy a binder. I've tried to talk to my mom a few times but she ignores me and she acts like she doesn't want to talk to me. She keeps saying I'm not in the mood to talk.

I'm so frustrated. I feel depressed and dysphoric.

I came out to my older sister too. She basically is the only one who supports me.

I don't know what to do. How do I cope?

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I am sorry to read that your mum reacted in the way she has; I can imagine how difficult it must be for you at the moment.

From what you have described, it seems your mum is at some level accepting of LGBTQ+ persons, so it is possible with time she will come around. Some of her reaction might very well be rooted in her not understanding fully what is happening within you and how you feel comfortable within your own body.

She might have been prepared for a sexual orientation, but not for a gender identity that might not conform what she knows or how she understands the world. In many ways, your mum has to come out too. She, herself, has to go through the phases of acceptance, and follow a journey that might resemble some of your own. It can be hard, but it might be good not to force a conversation at this point but give it some time. Sometimes, time and distance can help. Has your oldest sister tried to speak with your mum or been present when you try to speak with her?

As you are living with your mum, I am wondering, are you dependent on her financially?

wouldbeElliot likes this.
  3. Justbeingjam

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No she hasn't, my sister has been busy with her job and moving into a new apartment.
    Yes I am dependant on my mom financially.

4. Omnis Leevene

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey dude, I’m kind of in a similar situation. Although my mom said she doesn’t care if I am trans or not, I can tell that both she and my dad are transphobic. Right now, she just thinks that I am influenced by my peers and by consuming too much lgbtq+ social media. Are you able to educate her about gender identities and transgender in any way? Maybe you should also try to come out a few more times…
    And this is probably not gonna be very helpful for you, but for me, I am used to waiting. Wait until you are financially independent so you start to change your gender presentation, start hrt, and etc.

5. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, it might be worthwhile to see if your sister would be willing to help you or speak with your mum, once things have settled down a bit for her. Have you had a chance to help your sister with the move and setting up her new place? If you haven't and depending on how you feel about it, it might be good to ask if you can help so to spend a bit of time with your sister where you can feel that you are being supported.

As you are dependent on your mum, I would suggest to trying to give things time - as hard as this is and feels at the moment.

Have you tried to come out to others that you know and trust?

wouldbeElliot likes this.
  6. Justbeingjam

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have no friends. I want to go to college. I just can't decide if I want to take classes online or in person. I struggle a lot with talking to other people and I have really bad anxiety. I've thought about coming out to extended family members but I'm not sure. I'm afraid to.

7. Justbeingjam

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I tried to show her articles and videos about gender identity and being transgender. But she didn't read or watch any of them. Do you mean I should come out to her again or come out to other people?

8. Omnis Leevene

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well, for some parents you may have to try to persuade them a few more times. And as the person above said your sister can help. But if you think there’s no way she will accept you, then perhaps it’s better to stay safe at the moment

Justbeingjam and wouldbeElliot like this.
  9. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So sorry your mom dosent understand

Justbeingjam likes this.
  10. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm sorry to hear this Justbeingjam. I'd implore you to try and see it from your mom's point of view.

At the moment she's in shock. This has come out of nowhere for her. Whilst you've had years to deal with being trans internally, she's been thrown into this situation. It's obvious that she is in the denial stage of the grieving process. And for her it is grief. She loved the daughter you were and is grieving the loss of them (or the perceived loss, should I say).

Also...I think we underestimate how much more difficult it is coming out as trans as opposed to coming out as gay/lesbian in 2024. The straight world has largely (but not entirely, of course) got its head around the fact that people are not automatically heterosexual. But the whole transgender 'thing' throws their world into confusion. A lot of the older generation literally cannot cope and don't even go there as regards non-binary identities! I would say that's what is happening at the moment with your mom.

So what's going to change?

Time. Give it time.

There's no need to come out to her 'again'. You've made your point. But at the same time don't let her think that this is a passing phase that you'll simply grow out of. As others have said, you need a support structure and you need to be financially independent. Are there other people your own age you can come out to and find support that way?

I'd strongly encourage you to get to college and attend classes in person. You need to get out of your family home, spread your wings and become the person you were born to be. You've done the hard bit - coming out to the person who gave you life. Now you need to start to construct your own life, as an independent adult.

Good luck!

Hugs, Beth

#10 chicodeoro, Jan 29, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2024
  11. Justbeingjam

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks!

12. Justbeingjam

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you! Hugs.

13. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As others have said, give her some time. My parents were in total shock when they found out, most family members (seems especially so with parents) are when you tell them. I can't guarantee when or if she'll come around, but there's evidence that it's possible she will.

Justbeingjam likes this.
  14. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Take your time with coming out. There us no rush in coming out. Before coming out, it might be worthwhile to do a check in with yourself on how you feel in coming out to someone. If you feel fine and feel it's the right moment for you, try going for it. If on the other hand you feel afraid and/or not ready, it's perfectly fine to give it time.

I agree that you don't need to come out to your mum again. It's great that you have tried showing her resources. You have already planted the seed for furher learning on your mum's part.

I would also agree that in-person classes would definitely better as it would allow you to be in a different environment, get to know others and also perhaps join a LGBTQ+ group or resources on campus (if available).

That said, and acknowledging that you are stuggling with anxiety, there might also be options where you can start online and ease into in-person classes or have a couple that are online and some in person, according to what you feel comfortable with and makes sense to you.

Schools, colleges, usually have some supports for students with different needs in place that can help to have a good learning experience.

wouldbeElliot and Justbeingjam like this.
  15. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Give her time she will come around eventually

Justbeingjam likes this.
  16. Justbeingjam

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I need help? I'm really struggling right now. I'm feeling really dysphoric and depressed right now because yesterday I asked my mom if she can use my name and pronouns. But she said "No I'm not calling you another name or he and we're not going to change your name or gender on your on your birth certificate either. Because you were born overseas and it's impossible to change it." (I was born on a US base in Germany and my mom used to be in the air force.) I hate this so much. I'm really depressed. And yesterday I was telling my mom that I've been feeling depressed. Then she started crying and she said don't harm yourself. I support you okay. But I don't think she supports me at all! Because she won't use my name and pronouns, she won't let me change my name, and she won't let me transition. I wish I could transition. :frowning2:

17. Justbeingjam

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks I really hope she does.

18. Justbeingjam

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's a good idea to take some classes in person and some classes online. Thank you.

19. Justbeingjam

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks.

TinyWerewolf likes this.
  20. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! (*hug*)

I encourage you to spend time with your sister who supports you. You mentioned that she moved recently. Maybe ask her if you can help to set things up, or see if she has a bit of time to spend time with you outside of your home. Enlist the support of your sister if possible.

As hard as this is, it might be good to give your mum the time she needs before trying to re-engage her on wanting to use different pronouns and transition. From what you have mentioned, it's possible that she will come around in time. As said before, she needs to come out too.

Justbeingjam likes this.