1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am 18 and my girlfriend is 34 is this a problem?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by PixiePromise, Apr 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    if you read what I've written, in this thread and every other where I talk about older-younger relationships, I also understand that it can turn out OK. You make it sound like I don't. I just point out that on the whole, it doesn't. About 10% of people who try IV heroin don't become addicted. That doesn't make it OK to tell people it's fine to try heroin. I don't know what the precise numbers are for age-gap relationships (in part because there are so many variables, it would take a really large study to make any meaningful analysis) but from the information I've seen, it's probably not much better than 10%. (Granted, an imperfect analogy because the risks in "trying" an older-younger or otherwise imbalanced relationship are far less serious than the risks of trying heroin.)

Actually, that is *terrible* advice. The last thing you want, if you want an emotionally healthy relationship, is a dual-role relationship, such as a mentoring relationship that is enmeshed with a romantic relationship. It sets up very, very unhealthy boundaries that are core to the problems I'm talking about. This is one of the reasons why there are such strict rules for mental health professionals that they cannot date anyone they have seen as a client.

I go back to the addiction analogy. It's not perfect but it's similar. People in addictions have had the reason centers of their brains hijacked by the drugs. People -- particularly younger people -- in unhealthy relationships, whether with an older person or a controlling person or an enmeshed/dual-role relationship usually don't realize that the relationship is unhealthy until they get out of it. Sometimes that's because it's the first time they've been in a relationship, sometimes because they're essentially 'under the spell" of the older person, sometimes it's because they had really dysfunctional childhoods and have no prototypes for what a healthy relationship should look like. Deep down, they usually know something isn't working... but they convince themselves that it's OK. It's only when they get out of it that they realize just how dysfunctional it was.

Someone who is totally happy with their relationship and sees no problems doesn't start a thread saying "I have this relationship with a much older person. Is this a problem." She may not consciously see the problem, but clearly some part of her does, otherwise she would not make the thread in the first place. And it is in these circumstances where there's an opportunity to educate and discuss the potential issues that can arise. That's very different from self-doubt due to internalized homophobia as a result of a culture that devalues homosexual relationships.

2. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes, it is always good to point out that things aren´t always rosy. Every thread will be a collection of oppinions and advice and it´s a good way to learn and look at things from different angles. For everybody. Sometimes we are fixed in an opinion or just don´t think through.

Do you think a person will be traumatized for life for been happy in a relationship with an older person who has been good to that person?

About the mentoring, ofcourse there is a good reason that professionals don´t get involved with their clients. I just mean that when someone has experience at least understands you well. They don´t actively have to do anything or be anything else than a partner. But I think a partner is someone that stands by you and not someone you just have sex with.
    I wonder what your "normal" relationship looks like? Can you let me in on that? Maybe then it is easy to spot where the differences are. Or when "age" comes in.

I still think she just started the thread because she gets so many comments and not because she has a problem. She has a problem with intolerance.
    And I think it is not different from what I experience as a gay person.
    But hey, I don´t know, I didn´t start the thread, I dont know her personally, I haven´t got the faintest idea about their relationship. But I read:

"I didn't even see it as a problem but when I meet new people they are really shocked by it and say "well that won't last".
    Is it really that bad?
    We have been together two years in June."

and
    "I am very happy with her. We really get on.
    I do feel our relationship is healthy. We are both equal in all aspects of our relationship.
    My mum has met her and they are get on very well.
    My mum is very happy for me and thinks she is the right one for me."

That doesn´t sound like someone who has doubts and do you think her mom is a moron?

As for drugs,I know people that handle their "weekend" drugs use very well and I know those that are hooked.
    I think a lot has to do with personality, not so much with the substance.

Again I really don´t disagree with what you all say. Because it is true.
    I just want to show some support.
    It doesn´t have to be "that bad".
    (it can be, but doesn´t have to be.)

3. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, the normal healthy relationship is something that volumes have been written on, so I don't think one can do justice in a paragraph, but some of the key points for an ideal healthy relationship are (in no particular order)

-- Absolute honesty/authenticity
    -- Mutual respect, trust, appreciation
    -- Built on interdependence, not dependence
    -- Neither party is particularly "needy"
    -- No meaningful power differentials (or power differentials that are balanced out)
    -- No manipulation or control by one party toward the other
    -- Open and meaningful communication
    -- Openness and comfort of both parties to share concerns
    -- Openness and comfort of both parties to really listen to the other's concerns
    -- Willingness to compromise
    -- Neither party afraid of conflict, but both willing to address it when it arises

There are undoubtedly a lot more than the above, but that's probably a good start.

There are definitely some people that are more prone to addiction than others, and there appear to be genetic factors associated with that, and certainly personality can play a role. But no one's immune to addiction, and it really isn't an accurate characterization that it's a personality issue.

There isn't much evidence that anyone can safely use opiates (heroin, oxycontin, vicodin, etc), cocaine, or amphetamines (crystal meth, adderal, ritalin, etc) over time without developing tolerance, which leads to addiction. Many addicts say they knew they were addicted the first time they tried their drug of choice. And every addict started out as a "responsible weekend user", and no addict ever intended to become addicted. But that's off topic to the main conversation :slight_smile:

On this point, we totally agree.

4. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks again for you patience with me and answering!

But, your list can apply to couples with a big age difference too.
    Ofcourse a lot can be out of balance, but it can also be when both partners are of similar age. You know that.
    A dysfunctional relationship is not exclusive for partners with big age gaps.

I totally understand your concerns, don't get me wrong, but in this case it just sounded , to me anyway (and the girl was scared away, so probably to her too) like you were saying that this particular girl is doing something bad.
    It just didn't come across as the support she was probably expecting, since EC profiles itself as tolerant and supportive....
    That doesn't mean we should lie to protect feelings, but you were a bit heavy on the negatives. I wanted to balance it out.
    And it is also handy if one gets a bit deeper into it to understand things better.

I understand that I can be "a pain in the ass". I'm sorry.

5. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course it can. It's just that, in practice, based on what I've seen, on some of the materials I've read, and on conversations with therapists working with people that have been in these situations, these 4 tend to be the most likely to be problematic in age-gap relationships

-- Built on interdependence, not dependence
    -- Neither party is particularly "needy"
    -- No meaningful power differentials (or power differentials that are balanced out)
    -- No manipulation or control by one party toward the other

Amen to that. I would go so far as to guess that a majority (not an enormous majority, but probably at least 55%, pulling a number out of my ass) of LGBT relationships are fraught with problems in multiple areas of the ones I've described above. I do think, statistically, they're more likely to occur in relationships with age gaps. But other relationships are certainly not immune.

6. Bobbybobby99

Bobbybobby99 Guest

While this thread has turned into a closed conversation for the puppy and chip, especially considering that the original creator of this thread specifically said she would not be using her membership further, it is safe to say that this thread isn't exactly doing it's original purpose. In any case, to add my two cents, generally two people who are two or more of these phases of life away from each other have a hightened chance of relational failure, and the ones that stay within there own phase have the best relationships, generally, to be somewhat imprecise.
    Baby. 0-1
    Toddler.1-3
    Lower child. 3-7
    Pre-teen. 7-13
    Teen. 13-16
    Developing adult. 16-25
    Adult. 25-40
    Middle aged. 40-60
    Senior. 60-80.
    Elderly. 80+
    Just my two cents.

7. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

Simply... No, it doesn't matter one bit. In my opinion, as long as the two people love each other, it doesn't matter. It may be disputed but that is my opinion.

You can find a thread that I created in this topic: "Age Difference?", it contains a poll and feel free to write your opinion.

Hope this helped!

#47 clarkec1, May 12, 2013
    Last edited: May 12, 2013
  8. Rainbow Music

I personally believe from experience, that your relationship is unhealthy. But that's not for me to decide. If you are happy with her, and she is happy with you, then it shouldn't be a problem.

9. BudderMC

Let's try and keep in mind thread relevance when replying, guys.

OP started this thread over two weeks ago and hasn't been online since. Odds are she's not looking for the advice anymore.

If a thread is buried down a few pages of other threads, there's probably a good reason for it.

10. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The OP is long gone, and the thread has run its course, so it's now closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.