1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I’m very confused.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Ergen, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Ergen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is going to be a long post, so if you’re not interested in my situation, please move on now. I am very grateful to anyone who is willing to offer advice.

I’m almost 15 years old and have been struggling with my gender my whole life. I was designated female at birth, but I have some anatomical defects that definitely make me eligible for the label intersex. I currently identify as a transgender male, and I came out to everyone important to me about 3 years ago. I’ve never been comfortable with my body and I received a formal diagnosis of gender dysphoria shortly after coming out to my family. I was fairly secure in identifying as transgender until recently, when I started to seriously wonder if I could remain physically female. I know that these thoughts probably come from the environment I grew up in, which was quite sexist towards men, but my confidence has been shaken by them. I hate how transition has caused others to alienate me from many of the communities I once felt safe in, and how I was notably treated worse by society in general as soon as I was viewed as a man. I also am a person with both traditionally masculine and feminine interests, which leads people to believe I’m “not really a boy”, I’m just a lesbian or a tomboy. I feel a lot of pressure to “choose” correctly. Deep down I don’t know if I’m supposed to be female, but doing anything else makes me feel like I’m throwing my life away. I do still want to undergo surgery and hormone therapy, because my breasts and body shape cause me a great deal of distress, but I don’t want to give up the respect of my female peers, and the freedom to express myself safely for the rest of my lifetime.