1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HS Crush?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by brbrow5, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Easton

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I totally hear you! I just started university and I've been meeting lots of new people so when I text them and don't get a reply I figure it's best to let them start the conversation again and if they don't...oh well. But then again I'd have to say this is different since you've already been texting a lot. I say give him another day or so and see what happens. If you see him at school give him a nod/smile. Hopefully he'll initiate conversation. If he doesn't within the next couple days I would definitely try and start a new conversation sending a text yourself.

Good Luck!

2. brbrow5

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok so last night I came out to him lol. We we were having a realllllllly really super flirty conversation and he was being so cute haha and then we started playing the question game and we were asking questions that led to him asking who my last relationship was with. Having dated a guy I used to work with a few months ago, I simply told him "Someone I used to work with" but he kept persisting asking me what "their" name was, and if he would know "them", and why i was being so "secretive". (Notice the non-gender related pronouns he used. He knew exactly what he was getting at I assume.) He then told me that I could trust him and could tell him anything. So I told him that "his name was X) He seemed generally unsurprised about the revelation, just as I thought, and then told me to ask him anything I wanted. So I pretty much tried to get at the subject of if he was gay or not. He gave me answers that were very vague. Then, at the end, he asked that if i ever dated anyone from our high school if i would keep it a secret. I said "yes that I definitely would" he asked if I liked anyone and I said yes. I asked if he liked anyone and he said "I'm not sure idk" I asked why aren't you sure and he said "I'm confusing" Then he went to bed. Then, me being kind of pissed off that I opened myself up to be left with a lackluster return, I messaged him that "I, if anything else, am someone that he can trust with anything. I hope by the way I just confided a huge part of my life to you, that you can see that anything you tell me will not go anywhere, just as I know the same with you" and then i said something about how junior year was a transformative year for me and i hope it would be for him as well. Then i said goodnight and I would see him tomorrow. What do you guys think? Some crazy revelations in there but the gist is this:
    He knows I'm gay
    He continues to flirt with me and has asked me questions about relationship stuff
    Although he does say that he dated girls in the past, he has deliberately been vague about his orientation

It seems he is not quite ready to come out to me. Perhaps he hasn't come out to anyone before. Do you guys think he still is gay, or do you think if he was, that he would have told me. Should I continue to text him and wait for him to bring it up again or should i try to go into that deeper level of conversation again and see what develops? Idk why does everything have to be so difficult haha

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you handled this with a lot of class and sensitivity. Congratulations for coming out to him!

His response definitely is positive, but he seems to be at the beginning stages of becoming comfortable with his sexuality. He may have a lot of pressure to be straight, especially if it's from his parents/family. The first hurdle with coming out is just admitting to yourself you are gay/bi/whatever. Some people never get over it, but many do.

I would say to just be friendly with him and reassure you will keep any secrets. You might talk about your own experience of coming to terms with your sexuality.

4. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, like Resu said, be supportive and make sure he knows that he can trust you to keep his secret if he is gay/bi/something else. That can make a huge difference. I think the fact that he's being vague is just that he's uncomfortable telling someone, which means it may well be his first time coming out. I know that I personally don't like to tell people in response to a question; I prefer to say it in the course of a conversation if the subject comes up. So his case might be the same way. It seems like responding to the direct question of your sexuality is much harder than bringing it up yourself in the course of conversation, because you're not getting to choose your moment.

Although I do think that him showing so much interest in your previous relationship does show that he's at least interested in being friends if nothing else. I know I have some friends who are very curious about who I'm attracted to to the point where they've bugged me for a week straight before I told them.

But definitely take Resu's advice. I would say he's a good person to listen to because he seems to know what he's talking about. I hope all goes well!

5. Pie

Pie Guest

Hi, I'm in senior year of high school too!

Congrats for coming out to him, that's a major step and you handled the situation very well!
    Anyway, I think you should give him some time. Maybe he isn't totally sure if he's gay or not himself. And he is indeed gay (which it seems he is) maybe he needs some time to find out if he likes you or not.

6. brbrow5

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks guys!!! I definitely agree and will follow that advice! Just wanted to clear one thing up because I read my post over and it is unclear. When I was asking him questions trying to figure out his orientation and he was being vague I was not asking things like "Are you gay?" but rather "What would you say your type is?" to which he gave a description that is applicable to either gender. I will continue to be supportive, any answer questions he might have about myself and then maybe he will work up the courage.

7. brbrow5

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We have not talked since. Last night I texted him how his game went and he responded that it went well but he coulndn't talk because he had a lot of work. Idk what to think

8. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's probably true that he had work to do. I know that I've had to tell people I can't talk to them because of reasons like that; work or school or just tired from the day. I would take it at face value and not think too much about it.

9. brbrow5

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree about that but then tonight I texted him and he just didn't respond, which I am kinda pissed about. I am just going to wait for him to hopefully text me first.

10. SomeNights

You never know, he could have just been dead tired and then woke up in the morning and on the go. Not answering a text isn't saying "not interested". Try to bring the relationship to the real world. Does he like sports, videogames, art, music? Try inviting him to a game, arcade, museum or concert.

11. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Besides the above advice, make sure you also take some time for yourself. It can be tough being just a friend when you have a crush.

12. brbrow5

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Two days now where I have waited to see if he will text me after he ignored me on Thursday. Nothing to report. This sucks...

13. brbrow5

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just thought I'd update even though there's not much to say. I ended up caving and texting him a few days after this and then we started talking for the next few days. I thanked him for being so understanding to what I told him last week and he said no problem! Then we started talking about the coming out process and how it was a shame that we lived in a society that forces you to hide a part of yourself. He said "I know it's f*ed up like there will always be that person who will judge you" Then we talked a bit more. After that, its been pretty light convo if we talk at all. I don't know what I can do to get him to open up to me more. Yesterday, I walked up next to him in line. He was ahead of me with his friend. He definitely knew I was there but didn't turn around or say anything. It's just frustrating and I don't know how to handle anything. A part of me wants to play hard to get again, but I don't know if that will get me anywhere.

14. Leader233

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    During lunch sit down at his table, introduce yourself and start making friends. Over time you and he will figure out if you click :slight_smile:

15. brbrow5

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ahhh I don't have enough kahoonas to do that! Plus the lunch table I sit at now would wonder why I went to sit over there. Plus, one of the guys at my lunch table commented on how hot one of the girls the guy I like sits with is. He asked if that was her boyfriend sitting next to her (the kid I like). One of my other friends goes, no I know that kid and I'm pretty sure he's their gay best friend. Then another kid, who the kid I like plays soccer with goes, "Who X? Yeah I'm pretty sure X is bi." Another friend goes, "Wait, really?" and the kid who plays soccer with him goes. "Yeah I'm almost positive" Then the convo stops about that. I guess I could pretend that I was going to pick up the "hot" friend and my lunch table would appreciate that but after that convo they would most likely suspect that I was trying to get to know X, which would be exactly what i was doing, since I am sure most of them are at least a little suspicious about me. Anyway, it's a lot more complicated then just sitting there, especially since I don't know them. I could try to get to know one of the other people outside of lunch and then sit with them but idk about that either

---------- Post added 27th Sep 2014 at 12:57 PM ----------

One thing I was thinking about was maybe seeing if he wanted to get something to eat after the football game next week but I don't know if that is setting myself up for defeat

16. Tardis2020

Sounds like he's gay. Good luck. Also just because someone has dated a girl(s) before doesn't mean they're straight. A lot of people, myself included, have to try to convince themselves or others that they're straight.

17. brbrow5

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh I know bc I was also one of the those people and I am almost positive he is. With that being said, I don't know how to get him to admit it to me. I think only he can determine that himself

18. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    While I don't want to sound all negative since I think this whole thread and story has been cute...try and remember something I live by: Straight until proven gay (or bi). I've had many a crush on straight guys and they hurt. Your guy doesn't sound straight exactly, but until he explicitly tells you, I strongly suggest you don't go around just assuming he's gay or waiting for him to come out. He very reasonably could be straight, though doubtful.

I know I'm sounding a little mean, I don't mean to, but it really sucks to get hurt by crushes and your story sounds too sweet for it to end up hurting.

19. brbrow5

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am almost 100% positive that he is at least bi, but I totally get what you are saying. I have already kinda set myself up for this not working out. I have so much going on this year and there are so many other factors I just see it ending in a lot of hurt if I get too attached. I foresee it as either he somehow being straight, he not being able to admit his sexuality, he admitting his sexuality but not reciprocating feelings, or he being uncomfortable with starting a relationship while still in the closet. Any and all of the above are the most likely of the outcomes. There is still a part of me that think something is possible to develop but I don't know. For now, I am not going to text him for as long as it takes. I won't like his instagram posts, I won't favorite his tweets, I won't say hi to him in the hall. I'm thinking, if he does feel something, this will get him to text me even if it takes a week or two. It's just something new I am gonna try since everything else has failed in progressing anything forward.

20. brbrow5

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok so I haven't updated this in awhile and that's because there hasn't been anything to update. I haven't talked to him in like a week and a half because I have been waiting to see if he would text me. Now that I see that that is not going to happen, I really want to text him, lay all of my feelings out on the table in one message and then see how he responds. If he rejects me, then that's fine I can move on knowing that I at least tried and know all of the information. If he doesn't reject me, well, that would be optimal. I'm just sick of this in between period waiting for something to happen. If I were to text him, should it be something like this?

Start it off by saying hi, then asking if i could talk to him or be honest with him for a minute and then say
    Then say:
    Listen I don't know how to best relay everything that I am feeling rn but I will give it my best shot. I just feel frustrated because I feel like this situation is so confusing and I don't know how to handle it. I really like you and I don't know if that is either reciprocated or even possible of being reciprocated, but I feel like I have been waiting for something to happen and I have finally realized that nothing is going to unless I put myself out there like this. It's just really hard in an environment that almosts forces us to not even say hi to each other at school because we, or atleast I, am trying to hide something. Honestly, I don't really know what I expect from saying this and I don't really know what I want out of it either. The only thing I know is that I really like you and like talking to you, and I hope by me sharing everything that I have with you that you will trust me. If I have completely made a fool of myself I am really sorry, and all I ask is that you honor your word when you said that I was able to trust you. If nothing else, i hope we can be friends, I just really needed to get that out in the open because it was a frustrating weight on my shoulders.

Thoughts? Will this end badly? Should I just send him a text without saying all that?