1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How's your gaydar?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Lindsey23, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Martjain

My gaydar only thinks ppl who I think are hot are gay.
    I'm like:

Me: Hey, that dude is so cute/hot.
    Gaydar: Yeah, he is totally gay, c'mon have daydreams about your life with him. Of course then, they will be crushed because he is not actually gay.

2. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    life story!!

3. FallenAngel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm the same way. I've had tons of gay friends known a lot of gay people but unless they make it super obvious, I'm usually pretty clueless.

4. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess mine's alright. I met two gay people recently, and there wasn't anything particularly stereotypical about either of them, but I suspected they might be gay before they confirmed it.

5. ScatteredEarth

I have a half gaydar. And it's very feint at that. While I can't tell if you're gay.. If I know you're gay, I can tell if you're hitting on me. But it's very feint.. And I have to think about it.

6. BlueLines

My gaydar is nonexistant... I wish I had it though,

7. joshua2015

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I will know if some one gay but then my gaydar tells me im wrong :/

8. DanD

Perhaps this 'lack of a gaydar' is a path for a possible new invention. Something that sends out a signal, like a keyring or something, so you'll know for sure if the person is gay should he/she have one.

9. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think there are some obvious cases, where you're sure even before someone confirms it, and others where they *could* be, but I doubt there is someone who can 100% tell 100% of the time. I imagine someone walking into a crowded store, scanning their surroundings for a good five seconds, then going, "There, there, there, there, there, there, there, and... there!" Not happening.

10. Stripe101

Wouldn't matter anyway. In my town, there's ONE flamboyant guy that everyone assumes is gay. Other than that, there isn't anyone to raise my suspicion to. This town tries so hard to pretend they're rednecks.

Wait... For a while, I thought my friend was asexual. But that was from sheer observation. I was wrong, anyway.

11. nkwacky

nkwacky Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's an urban legend. I've been out for 4 years now, yet I have always been wrong about guys. I couldn't identify a gay guy if he was kissing another dude right in front of me!

12. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Some people say innocent until proven guilty. When it comes to crushes, I say gay until proven straight!

13. Martjain

Hahaha, nice strategy. Does it work?

14. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First off, I will say that I'm still in the closet and often try to avoid acting like a stereotypical gay when people start suspecting. Only recently have I slowly been taking away the barriers I used to put up.

Interestingly, the only person who has directly suspected me was a straight guy I've known since the first grade. Both of us were in the "gifted" program, so I know he's smart. On a few occasions in middle school, he would prod me on why I didn't have a girlfriend, and I'm pretty sure he knows from my responses that I'm gay.

My biggest crush in high school was also the first guy I ever approached (through a very vague phone call asking if he had been "looking at me") and my first rejection. :frowning2: Following his FB page over the years, I have seen he has many close, straight guy friends and had quite multiple girlfriends. So, he's likely straight and just very comfortable with his masculinity. His girlfriend in high school later came out as a lesbian in college, so I sometimes still wonder...

There have been two guys I've met who were almost certainly gay and who wanted to find out if I was gay. The first was a kind of obnoxious guy who joined my undergraduate research lab when I told him about my work in a class. I had suspicions since of all the labs he chose mine (and later added me on Facebook and on Skype), but I knew for sure when he likely put another lab member, a girl, to ask if I knew about that gay social app G****r, which I politely denied. I think he liked me because on his last day, he looked at me for a long time, as if he wanted to say something. I was ruthless and just played dumb.

The second time happened in the last few months when I started working as a graduate research assistant, a high school intern who stared at me far more than any straight guy. He seems to have little idea how obvious his glances at me are, including looking directly at me at my desk through a window from an outside sidewalk (though that means I had to be look outside for him, LOL). He's pretty attractive in a twinkish manner. If he was closer to my age, I would have approached him, but our seven year age difference made me friendzone him. If this guy is straight, then he is a huge tease.

15. messy01

Out Status:
    A few people
    My gaydar is very accurate. I'm pretty good at knowing which guys and girls are gay.

16. PrinceOfAvalon

Missouri, U.S.A.... in a town no one knows of lol
    Mines pretty good. I've never been wrong yet :slight_smile:

It works when they are obvious or when they aren't. You can see it someone's eyes, the way they hold themselves, obv. signs like what they talk about sexually. There are a lot of cases where people try to overcompensate (womanizer turns out to be gay kind of thing). If you actually get to know the person beyond just a moment's glance, things seem to come together :slight_smile: One person I know is gay (or at least Bi) i have thought so all year. Found out a few weeks ago, his family is super religious, and he hates it. His dad is some sort of pastor and his mom teachers @ some catholic school or something. The circumstances of him being in the closet are all there.

At just a glance its hard xD

Still, i guess its just a bit of intuition, guided by unbiased reasons. I don't say "they are gay" and think it because i want to be with them. (Quite the opposite in my school's case to be frank.)

If you think of it as just an observation, its easier ^_^

Really its just intuition + observation of your surroundings including the person you are "identifying" Notice things about them that might make them gay. You don't have to include stereotypes in your deducing but they can honestly help lol.

Also for guys I can tell who COULD be gay, but is unfortunately actually straight, and then there are the guys that are just flat-line gay, no doubt lol xD i don't think someone is gay unless I know for sure! (well i can only be 99% sure anyway, so its not a perfect science)

My gaydar works so well... but,

I can never tell when people are genuinely nice to me, or like me in a romantic sense xD ever!

My gaydar for lesbians however, is murky... I can tell if a girl is Bisexual, or bi-curious pretty much instantly, but as far as I know, there are no exclusive lesbians at my school ('cept like 2 teachers).

#36 PrinceOfAvalon, Jul 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  17. Yannick

Out Status:
    A few people
    I have no gaydar (and I am also face blind) but people usually can tell about me.

18. Krissy

You really just have to watch a person check out other people. If you look closely, you can tell where they're looking, whether a guy or a girl's butt. Just watch their small movements and you can make an educated guess.

19. JayR

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Mine works sometimes

20. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Well after I discovered, that theres "Flamboyant" straight men and ""Manly" Homosexual men... my Gaydar is totally useless..