1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How would you rate your English?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Aussie792, Jun 14, 2014.

?

Your English skills from 1 (bad) to 10 (good)

1. 10 - Perfect

32 vote(s)
    28.1%
  2. 9

23 vote(s)
    20.2%
  3. 8

33 vote(s)
    28.9%
  4. 7

13 vote(s)
    11.4%
  5. 6 - Slightly above average

7 vote(s)
    6.1%
  6. 5 - Slightly sub-par

5 vote(s)
    4.4%
  7. 4

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 - Very poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. AlamoCity

:roflmao:

2. I am grateful to be a native speaker and flatter myself that I'm quite good.

There's a poem called English Is Tough Stuff

English is Tough Stuff

which presents difficulty even for native speakers if read aloud at speed. It deals only with pronunciation aspects of the language and doesn't even touch on the more arcane grammar and usage aspects.

3. DeviantAttitude

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I gave it an 8. I'm not English native speaker but I've been using English since I can remember. Pop culture does that to you.
    Could be better anyways, I hate to talk in English in public and when I get nervous the level goes down to a 6 or 5.

4. Hexagon

I'm so good at english I can make posh people like me despite my green hair and facial piercings.

5. TheStudent

TheStudent Guest

I know how to use correct grammar and more "cultured" words but I can't be bothered to and I love how certain expressions I use can annoy language snobs so there's motivation to not be correct :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. Harve

Unless you're a small child, you speak your native language perfectly regardless of whether you have a regional dialect or use tons of slang. Just because it doesn't conform to a prestigious dialect, it doesn't mean it's actually incorrect.

I think folk are rating how well they abide to prescriptive grammar rules (which I think can have their place in all fairness).

7. the prince

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Could someone rate me? I can't rate myself :slight_smile:.

8. I'm a 9. Mainly because I don't use proper grammar in my daily speech. Also, I never really spoke much English until I was about eight or nine years old.

9. BelleFromHell

I'd say about 9. My English isn't perfect, but it's certainly better than the average Amercian dumbass.

10. timo

I like to think my English isn't too bad.

11. BelleFromHell

Same here. My spoken grammer is very bad, probably due to social anxiety,

English is my first language, but I didn't say my first word until age 3 or 4.

12. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I chose 6 :lol:

Erm.. I started to legitimately socialize when I was.. 18.. yea.

13. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would rate myself as pretty good. I have very good gramma and diction, with quite an extensive vocabulary. Often, when there are spelling or grammatical errors, it's usually down to the rubbish spelling autocorrection software on my ipad or computer.

I would say being English helps, but to be honest I know many English people with poor gramma or spelling.

Happy days :slight_smile:

14. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I consider myself significantly above average for using English. But I voted 8, because there are a number of people even that much better than I am. Some classic authors wield words as naturally as extensions of themselves, and I certainly haven't gotten to that point. IMO the only people who could really choose 9 and 10 are true masters like Tolkien et al.

^^the irony of having to use a Latin abbreviation to concisely get my point across :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. AKTodd

Gave myself a 9. I write for a living (and do some degree of proofing and editing the work of others) so it sort of goes with the territory. That said, I haven't bothered with the formal rules of English since grade school, nor do I worry about them. I know what 'feels right' and the vast majority of the time, I'm right:grin:

16. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd say 8.5, so I chose 9. I spoke early, I love to read, and my standardized verbal test scores have traditionally been high. Still, there are people out there whose ease with written and spoken English I very much admire.

---------- Post added 14th Jun 2014 at 10:51 AM ----------

Great thread idea. I find the differences between U.S. and Commonwealth English interesting, to say the least:

- favor, favour
    - center, centre
    - localized, localised

I would have given you a 10 on your English, but saw "whisky" on one of your posts regarding alcohol and though "hmmm ... he forgot an 'e'." Now this could also be a U.S./Commonwealth difference. All in good fun, Aussie792.

17. starfish

I'm from Texas, where 'I tell you what" is a complete sentence. So I rate my self about a 4.

18. Gen

Gen

Honestly, I voted a ten; though it has made me wary of writing this post now that I'm especially susceptible to making numerous mistakes and being judged for the irony. Grammar and vocabulary were always my most loved subjects in school. Something about about analyzing sentence structure and terminology fascinates me. I never judge those who don't strictly follow grammatical rules, because I completely agree that "its and it's", "Who, whoever, whom, and whomever", "commas, colons, and semicolons", and plenty more aspects of the English language are very special kinds of bullshit.

Actually, I remember trying to explain to a classmate why the phrase "The professor gave the pencil to Rachel and I" was incorrect, when she was always taught never to use 'me' when referencing oneself directly after another. After pointing out the flaw in "There was a part of him that adore her. However, he knew he would never stand a chance.", she shouted "fuck this language" and stormed out.

19. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [​IMG]

Yep. XD

And Gen, I'm familiar with the "xxxx and I" rule that people adhere to so strictly that they sometimes say the wrong thing. I mention that you use "me" when you are the object pronoun, but I think a very tiny amount of people actually remembers what grammatical terms like that mean.

#39 Argentwing, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  20. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do declare my previous statement was a joke and my English is far superior than this. Upon further inspection, I give myself a 9 for being able to elegantly construct a sentence to display my writing in a coherent way. Furthermore, my English IV teacher was a grammar nazi when it came to essays and you best believe that all essays were covered in red ink when he got through with it. Moreover, one of my classes this past semester was writing and the sciences and we learned the mechanics of the English language in that class. I will admit my English is not perfect and it never will be but it's close enough.