1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to start with expressing gender identity?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by CyberStar, Jan 6, 2015.

1. CyberStar

So, I recently figured out that I was transgender. (Now that I look back, the only way I could have took this long was being in denial.) So now that I'm getting comfortable with myself, I want to express my identity... But I'm not sure how. First off, there is a lot of maleness to my behavior, from years of gender-role indoctrination. Second, I'm a people-pleaser. (Man, I hate that, but I can't stop...) Barring those personality issues, I was considering crossdressing, but this is a bit of a practical problem: I live with parents I havEN't come out to yet, and am also 6'2". And again, I'm kind of shy. I'm also trying to cultivate the spark of femininity in my personality, but am having some trouble (I don't have any good teachers!). And finally, don't even get me started on the voice. So, does antybody have any tips or advice they can offer?

2. DoriaN

I'm sorry but I do not believe I could help very much...

That said your weight is a blessing! Girls would kill to be tall and skinny like you ^^

Perhaps just loosening up and being more candid about life and yourself will help. Never be afraid of how you were made, you're you!

Rock it girl

3. Lazuri

I did post some tips on your other thread that might interest you.

As for the voice, you might think that one's hopeless but it's actually pretty manageable. A lot of people think that the main difference between a male and female voice is pitch, but it's not. The average female pitch is only like half an octave off from the average male pitch and voice generally have a reach of two octaves in bot directions without any practice. No, what makes a voice male or female is the resonance. Resonance is a bit harder to change than pitch but it's fully possible to change it. It basically becomes a question of practicing muscles that you have simply never used before. At first it might sound a bit monotone but as you use your female voice more, your dynamic range will increase. In most cases it won't have the full dynamic range of a cis female, but it will be good. That said, I'm a bit sad because I love singing and that's one thing that doesn't always work out with a trained voice.

I'd get more into the "how do I do it" but I have a hard tile explaining it. Hopefully I'll start voice therapy in a year or so and I was planning to bring what I learn there to EC. Somebody else will probably know, though.

Also, shy girls are cute. I think you'll be fine.

4. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  5. WyldStyle

Try sneaking things for a start. Dressing up when you're alone, wearing a bra in an outfit no one can see it in, or paint your toenails. Something to make you feel more feminine but something that can be your own little secret until really figure out what you want to do with yourself.

Hope this helps!

6. Lazuri

Wearing feminine underwear and pantyhose works for this. You can easily wear them under your pants and while it doesn't show, you'll know.

7. CyberStar

I was thinking about that myself... One question, though: how do women's sizes work? And what kind of clothes would I have to wear to hide a bra (or are those not really noticeable)?

8. Lazuri

I'm admittedly really bad at sizes and always have been not just for feminine clothes. They're also different from region to region, so I don't think I'd be much help.

My fiancee helps me shop for clothes, so maybe finding a girl to helo you isn't an altogether terrible idea.

Personally I don't see the point of wearing a bra if not also using fake breasts, it feels cumbersome and a little bit redundant. Fake breasts are easy to make, but obviously very noticeable.

9. ctrl alt delete

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i'd say start simple. start wearing stone differentlyrics cut tops and get some skinny black jeans. no one will comment much but you'll notice a big difference in your body shape. also light charcoal eyeliner is really hard to notice if u smudge it. :slight_smile:

10. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  11. suninthesky

Uh.. my sister is 6'1". Lots of girls are tall. Just saying.

12. CyberStar

Lazuri: With the bra, all I'd be interested in (if anything) is one of those size zero bras (I think that's what they are called, you know the ones designed for women whose breasts haven't really developed yet. Not trying to sound creepy or anything.) Fake breasts are out of the question for me. Suninthesky: there may be tall girls, but not where I live. I haven't seen one girl where I go to school that has made it to six feet. Ctrl alt delete: thanks for that, I'll keep that in mind. Especially the eyeliner part :wink: . (pretend paragraph break - stupid Java phone) One thing I was wondering, is there any way I could get away with wearing certain items of womens' clothing (eg hoodies, camis, things that either look somewhat generic or can be hidden under other clothes) without anybody noticing that it is actually girls' clothes?

13. Training bras, and hell yeah~ rock those clothes girl! Please remember that at the end of the day it's all the small and simple steps that will eventually lead to total happiness and freeness. (*hug*)

14. CyberStar

Is there any particular style of bra that's easier to hide under regular clothes (say, a school uniform polo shirt)? And: Since at my school we have to wear khaki pants, I can't wear my favorite black skinny jeans. Is there any place I can get pants that fit like that (really close fit, just marginally too big to be considered skintight) that are khaki? Or black- or navy blue- colored khaki material? I've looked all over the place but I'm having so much trouble finding them...
    Also, is there a particular type of lipstick that I could wear but nobody would notice?

15. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Amy Cuddy: Your body language shapes who you are | Talk Video | TED.com

When it comes to clothing, take baby steps until you feel comfortable and confident enough to wear the full wardrobe of your preferred gender.

For instance, my transitioning was gradual and it took a rather long time. I started with men's t-shirts, then shoes, then jackets, and most recently, pants.

---------- Post added 9th Jan 2015 at 04:26 AM ----------

How about a sport's bra?

16. DelvSeigible

I am in almost an identical situation except I choose to accept that I have both male and female sides to my personality. The fact that I accept myself allows for me to rationalize becoming more feminine as well as negating much of the disorder cause by gender dysphoria. While I exert my male side, I am assertive and dominant. As a female I am more sensitive to others emotion; often my female side is cute. In the end I put up another personality mask that combine both sides together so that I may live life as normal as I can be... For you, your personality may take some time to form, there is no rush.

A woman walks slowly, gracefully. She speaks softly and hold many secrets,
    -E

17. CyberStar

This is my current phone. It isn't activated: I just use it fro music and unfiltered Internet. But it isn't all that great. So, I was on Amazon, looking for a replacement, when I found something better: this dress. I like the black one. I am thinking of ordering it, once I find a person who will bring me the delivery... However, I have two questions. First, based on my height (6'2") and thin frame (I'm on the bottom edge of healthy :/ ), and also the fact that I am not interested in fake breasts to fill the front of the dress, which size should I order? Second: how can I hide this? And one more thing (not specifically connected): How should I act? :ike, I want to develop the posture, mannerisms, and bearing of a womann, but am at a bit of a loss as to how. Does anybody have any advice on any of that?

18. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Ordering on amazon, you might order a book with it, and say its a book, for example.

You might have a look at stores for used clothing. Often its not sorted by gender, and people there notice less. And people might think its for a girlfriend.
    This could be a nice and easy way to get aquainted with sizes, and get a few items to start with.

Considering mannerism, I'd suggest to let the inner feeling shine through, expressing a bit more emotions, also in language. Women tend to use more words, and their voice is much more ups and downs.
    Not overdoing it in the beginning, maybe starting slow, and the outer appearance and mannerism should shine through.
    A straight (not stiff... just straight :slight_smile: ) posture should help.

You could use some chapstick, or unobtrusive lipstick... (I'd recommend organic here, others might taste like wax)... have your eyebrows trimmed...
    emptyclosets.com/forum/gender-identity-expression/133045-do-i-pass-thread-81.html#1615

Concerning bras, you might have a look at the video here:
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/anony.../147192-transitioning-where-do-i-start.html#2
    From 8:15 she talks about bras.

(*hug*)

19. Lazuri

I remember giving you some hints in another thread.

But it all starts with the female posture which consists of stomach in, chest out and shoulders back. It might take a while until it doesn't look so stiff, but adapting that posture has habit of changing how you sit, walk and generally move. Biological males also have elbows that point more outwards, so you might wanna twist your arms slightly so your elbows are closer to your body.

20. CyberStar

You did. I had two threads originally, but one was very low-traffic, so I stopped coming to it when the posts stopped.

On the twelfth (my seventeenth birthday!) a friend gave me ten dollars as a present. So I bought some pantyhose and leggings. Before I clocked in at work (bagger), I put on the pantyhose. And boy, could I feel the difference: not only did the fabric kind of move against my legs as I walked, but it gave my legs air too. Then before I left the bathroom, I put on some lipstick. (Not enough to be noticed, just enough to feel it.)

When I left the bathroom, I actually checked to make sure I was wearing pants, because between the pantyhose and the way I tied my apron, it felt more like I was wearing a skirt :slight_smile:

At first, the pantyhose gave me a bit of a thrill. But after a while, that wore off. That's when I noticed how safe, nice, and natural it felt. I really liked it. I didn't take them off all night. Overall, I have to say I liked my birthday :grin: That was an experience I can't wait to repeat.

Just a couple of (stupid) questions:
    - Can you stop pantyhose from ripping so easily?
    - Does the underwear go on before or after the leggings (or not at all)?
    - What's the best way to put on makeup (but subtle, so most people wouldn't notice unless they looked for it)?