1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Not Miss My Boyfriend This Much When He's On Vacation?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by RemakeJake, Feb 17, 2020.

1. RemakeJake

My boyfriend of about 5 months just left for Australia for about 2 weeks and I was an embarrassing mess. I cried saying goodbye to him, I cried trying to go to sleep last night, and I've cried a few times today. I want him to have fun and not be bombarded by texts from me or ever think that I'm being needy, but I also already miss him so so so much. It feels like a giant piece of me is gone for 15 days and I don't know how to handle it. Today's gone by so incredibly slow and if it's like that for the next 14 days, I don't know what I'll do. Is there anything I can do to make myself feel better right now?

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! It happens that out emotions get the better of us, in particular when it is something that doesn't happen very often, or is the first experience such as the one you are experiencing. I don't think you need to feel embarrassed about it. Given the relative short time in which you have been together, the temporary separation can cause some irrational fears or concerns. Keep in touch with him; I think texting him a couple of times during the day, showing interest in his travels, experiences in Australia is totally fine.

Try to continue your daily life though. Do what you would do regularly that does not involve your boyfriend and that could help you to bridge the time apart. Spending some quality time with friends or doing a few social things can help too. You will probably find that the two weeks are going to go by very quickly. :slight_smile:

RemakeJake likes this.
  3. RemakeJake

Thank you so, so much for your reply. I didn't cry aaaaaas much today, nor did I have as many awful dreams, so I suppose progress is being made? I'll just have to make it through, somehow.

4. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It seems like your relationship is so new that you don't want to be away from him for very long. You don't have to bombard him with texts, but maybe just occasionally call him and ask what he's done or seen and if he's having fun. Talk about fun things not about missing each other. I wish I could put you in touch with my soon-to-be sister-in-law. She knows about that kind of thing as my brother takes work trips a lot. But there very happy together and are getting married this summer. Just start thinking about how great it's going to feel when he gets home. And maybe start imagining ripping his clothes off as soon as you see him (just don't do that at the airport, I don't think security would like that).

RemakeJake likes this.
  5. RemakeJake

I also need to trust that he won't do anything to hurt me while he's away. Though many of his friends there are in open relationships, he's promised me that he's 100% fulfilled with me and isn't interested in anyone else. I just have to trust that, I suppose. Otherwise, it'll be a long and painful two weeks.

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are still building trust between yourselves and figuring out what works for the relationship. Having some thoughts about it and perhaps still feeling insecure about things is okay. In some respects, this is an opportunity for you to continue building that trust; taking him at his word, trusting what he has said goes a long way towards it.

Try not to worry about his friends who are in open relationships. Concentrate on what he has mentioned to you as this will help you to feel reassured over the next two weeks. :slight_smile: