1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to not look 12

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by soupycampbell, Jul 31, 2014.

1. soupycampbell

Out Status:
    Some people
    Alright I'm 14 and ftm and I pass which is great. But I can't help but feel down when I get mistaken for 12 or younger.:dry: Yes, I get this is how it's going to be until I get T but still. Are there any ways I can look older?

2. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you could wear clothes that make you look a bit taller. Also slicking your hair back and dressin all snazzy makes a difference. Darker eyebrows might help too, you could use some eyebrow filler or eyeliner or something.:icon_wink

3. Hexagon

Honestly, no. Sorry.

4. Rose22

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm 23 in September and get asked if I'm still in school.

5. birdking

I have the same problem, except I'm 17. pre-t FtMs generally look younger than they are :/ sorry

6. sherlock

Out Status:
    A few people
    Huh. I look older than I actually am...according to certain people anyway. Maybe it's my quite-average-for-a-dude height. Maybe it's the entire Asian baby face thing. Maybe it's the way I dress.

In the summer I generally do not care and dress in the same outfit every single day: cargos and a tee. Taiwan is way too hot to don any snazzy guy clothes in the weather.

In the other seasons, however, I get to be picky. These are also the times when I get mistaken as 25 and up. I dress in slim-fit dress shirts, black jeans/trousers, and often wear scarves with a coat if it's cold outside. The metrosexual yuppie look...sometimes I wear a fedora.

It's also helpful to, IDK, give yourself that mature, intellectual air by wearing black-rimmed squarish glasses, or glasses with no frames at all. Pretend to be a little bit snobby (but not actually) and maybe get oxfords or a vintage leather backpack.

Band shirts and hoodies do not help a guy look his age, and neither do caps worn backwards. Avoid kid things in general and I guess you're good to go...

That's my $0.02 on how to dress. I'll leave the rest to more experienced guys...

7. Acm

Acm Guest

Dressing differently might help, but looking young is a pretty common problem for pre-T people so there might not be a way to fix it

8. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm 21, and everybody thinks that I am 15-17. It's funny since I work in retail. There have been people that have called and reported my workplace for underage hiring. T has helped this some, and I'm sure that it will help with more time. I would say to try different styles of clothing and see if that helps.

9. justjade

I have the same problem, except I'm 25. People think I'm 20, which is pretty cool, except that they generally take me for a 20-year-old woman. I figure as a man, I look much younger since I can't grow a beard. All I can really say is to dress taller and older. Wear clothes that fit close to your body, and wear styles that are more mature but still current. If it just so happens that you're almost exclusively confined to boys' clothes, if they fit you well, no one will even notice. Don't be one of those trans men who wears clothes that are too big for the sake of looking bigger. You'll look short and like you stole your outfit from your dad's closet. I've heard some trans guys say that when you're buying shoes, buy them a size or two bigger to make your feet look bigger and stuff the ends with tissue paper. I don't recommend that as it makes walking pretty uncomfortable and can actually just look silly.

One thing that has helped me since I'm not taking T and don't plan to is being confident. Just be who you are and be proud of it. When I first started transitioning, I just kind of expected people to take me seriously, but they didn't until I started being a man. Then it was hard for some of my friends not to. It's easier said than done, as it's kind of hard to explain, but if your appearance is just on the edge, your actions can take you to new heights.

---------- Post added 31st Jul 2014 at 09:38 PM ----------

And whatever you do, don't do or wear anything that makes you uncomfortable. If you do, people are likely to notice. So good luck to you, sir. :slight_smile:

10. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm 17, and I still look like I just started middle school (I can't get taken seriously for a job and people can't believe I'm going to college). T is the life-saver for that, but even then, it takes time. Only 2 years younger is not that bad, but the gap seems to increase as you grow older. The only thing I can say is, be confident and dress well, the rest is pretty much out of your control.

11. BelleFromHell

I'm a 17 year old ciswomen whose correct age is never guessed. I'm always mistaken for a 14 year old, or a 20 year old. My mom still picks out most of my clothes and I have a baby-face. At the same time, I'm 5'8", and taller than most other women I know.

Sorry I don't have any advice. I'm in a similar situation. :lol:

I recommend what everyone else says about dressing differently and letting that man inside of you show more. I'm sure that'd help a lot. :thumbsup:

12. soupycampbell

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks everybody:grin:

13. Two Shakes

You may curse it now, but when you're fifty and everyone is calling you thirty you will laugh in the face of all of your old friends. Trust me, it is for the better, truly.

14. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I look younger than I am when people take me as female - people often assume I'm younger than my younger sister. I look positively like a little boy whenever anyone thinks I'm a guy. In fact I was compared to this kid recently. I am 23.

[​IMG]

I think it's the glasses...

Dressing well is probably going to have the biggest impact on changing the way you're perceived, along with a little confidence, but since ftms just look young try not to be discouraged.

15. anonym

anonym Guest

This is not necessarily gender related. Cis people can also be mistaken for being years younger than they really are so I wouldn't worry about looking a couple of years younger. Take me for instance, I'm not presenting as male yet but I haven't been wearing make up for quite a while now and only a few weeks ago I was mistaken for a 16 year old girl. I'm 26.

16. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I have the same issue as well... and I was on hormones for nearly eleven months, have facial hair and everything, and yet I'm still taken for 12-14. :confused: