1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to let someone down nicely after a first date?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by FloatingPiano, Dec 26, 2019.

1. FloatingPiano

To get to the point,

I have been talking to this girl on and off for a week now (met on a dating app)
    I went on a first date for coffee with her today and I was just not really feeling it at all.
    She was very nice, but I just didn't feel that chemistry. Conversation wasn't that exciting to me, etc.

I was just looking for some advice on how to send her a text to politely let her down easy?, I do not want to be a jerk and ghost her or lead her on.

I have a lot of anxiety so this is really worrying me - any advice would be helpful. I don't like disappointing people but I don't wanna waste my my time or hers...

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First, I think we all experience that. In part because we don't want to hurt someone or let them down, but also because we don't want to be seen as 'a bad person'.

I think the simplest thing is the truth, somethign like "Hey, I had a nice time at coffee, and I appreciate meeting you and learning about you. I didn't feel much chemistry, so I don't think it's a fit, but I wish you the best." You could add something about keeping her as a friend if you want, but I wouldn't suggest it unless you want to do it.

The truth is, there's no way that it doesn't sting a bit to hear that, no matter how you phrase it. But far worse is to not tell them, ghost them, or keep going on dates because you don't want to let them down. I've seen people do all three, and the "choose discomfort" plan is by far the best approach in my book.

Isaacsolomon, Delphine and musicteach like this.
  3. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I agree with Chip: a bit of honesty will go a long way. “Hey I had a good time on the date and you’re really a great person. I just didn’t feel any chemistry and don’t think we’ll be a good fit” or something.

4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree that honesty is best, and saying you didn't feel chemistry is safe language. Plus, you will gain experience for future dates to continue this honesty. I also agree about being cautious about friendship; many people can still harbor mixed feelings as a friend.