1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to go about telling my roommate I'm gay?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by runallday4, Oct 28, 2012.

?

When should I tell my roommate I'm gay?

1. Before I meet him (email, facebook, etc.)

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. A little while after I meet him

9 vote(s)
    64.3%
  3. Other (post below)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. runallday4

runallday4 Guest

This is a little preemptive, but I'm a senior in high school, so I'm off to college next year. How should I go about telling my roommate I'm gay? The school I'm applying to and will most likely end up going to has a policy that you fill out a survey, and they match you with a roommate, so while I can say I'm gay in the survey, I don't know how much of a difference this will make. Do you think it's better to tell him over facebook or something before we meet? or should I wait till I get to know him for a few days?

Also, I'm out to no one yet, but hopefully I'll tell some people before I go to college. I want to just be completely out when I start college.

2. Minamimoto_Fan

I think you should do what ever you are comfortable with. I myself would wait a bit to gage how they are before I told them, just so I can be on the safe side, but I can see benefits from telling them before you meet so there's no secrets.

3. Farouche

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'd tell him fairly early, but don't make it the very first thing you say to him. So, if you're chatting on Facebook before you meet, then tell him, but don't send an "I'm Gay!" email before he knows anything else about you.

4. Pain

Pain Guest

I would say either in an e-mail or in person once you meet. You can bring it up like it's common knowledge (if you're comfortable), and start talking about a boyfriend (even if it's a lie :wink: ) That worked for me :slight_smile:

5. squally89

I don't think it's necessary to tell your roommate that you're gay, unless you are comfortable with that/him/her. Just my personal opinion, it's best to just feel it out and give yourself time. Roommates can be a pain in ass and you're going to college to study. Not sure how big your college/program is and although not everyone will think this about you, but some people may pass judgement on you and think you're just the "gay guy".

I would say either in an e-mail or in person once you meet. You can bring it up like it's common knowledge (if you're comfortable), and start talking about a boyfriend (even if it's a lie ) That worked for me

Since you are doing a survey you might get paired off with another gay guy or girl. Don't lie if your roommate turns out to hot :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: