1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get my parents to let me go to pride without outing myself?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ForNarnia, Jul 19, 2016.

1. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    None of my close friends can go, and it'd look too suspicious going alone :/ Any ideas?

2. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe just tell them you are meeting some friends at it... Its the only suggestion I got.

3. CoderK

Yeah, this seems like the only thing you can really say without them being suspicious.

4. neal18

You could tell them it's a social thing ("everybody's going") or you could do something else in the area and then "happen" to go to pride.

5. Wolfwing

You could have them drop you off at somewhere near where it's happening and then head to it.

6. rado84

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Idk how old are you that you must ask your parents for permission but you don't have to tell them where you're going absolutely every time. I for one stopped asking for permission the day I turned 18. So even if they ask me where I'm going (if I'm going to the Pride, I mean), I just say I'm going out with friends which also happens to be true cuz I have friends in the Pride.

7. AlamoCity

Download Pokemon Go and say there's a lot of pokestops and gyms nearby where pride is and you want to go explore. Even parents know about Pokemon Go.

8. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like the Pokemon idea. You could say you're interested in LGBT culture, or that you're going to be learning about the Stonewall riots or something at school, and you think it would be educational?

9. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    LOL. I actually love this idea,whether it would work or not :lol:

#9 HM03, Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  10. whatnow2016

whatnow2016 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like the Pokemon idea ..but on a serious note can't you say there is something else going on close by and just head off in secret?

At least if you are spotted in the area it won't be a shock and you could say you was just interested in the parade and went over to see what the fuss is about.

11. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    These are some really great ideas :slight_smile: Thank you all so much. I'm 18, but I still live with my parents and don't have a job yet (only just got out of full time education) so I need their permission. I'll see what I can do :slight_smile: I'm sure at least one of these will work :slight_smile: Thank you all so much xx

12. LeticiaTheLesbo

I told my parents that I was planning on going downtown to the muesems with a friend, made no mention of Pride. Just choose a locaton/activity that is in your down town or wherever pride is being held. Grabbing lunch. Going on a walk. Playing 'tourist for a day'

13. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Tell them you're going with friends who like to go watch the parade (just make up who's going even though you don't have anyone - I'm sure you can work out what to say) I seriously have straight friends who go regularly to watch so I told my mum and she doesn't care at all. I also have a gay guy best friend so I suppose she understands he might want me to come with him. She didn't really ask me why I might wanna go. Just make it about other people. I was just like:

"I'm going with J (my bff) and E's coming cos she wanted to see me - I guess she knew us two would be going. All that lot that live in Brighton are going too I beleive, they often go just to watch, cos I guess it's the main thing going on where they live - so why not? I think it will be quite cool - Carly Rae Jepsen is performing. Obviously J really wants to go."

And in the end she was like "actually maybe I'd like to see the parade... they say its good... I dunno if I can handle those guys down there though they're pretty OTT you know, I'm not into that."

So as you can see mildly homophobic mother who screws up her nose at how she thinks gay guys are OTT did not stop me from going cos I made it about other things. As long as she doesn't try and come with me haha.

#13 SHACH, Jul 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2016