1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to drop subtle hints you're gay

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by eron, Oct 23, 2023.

1. eron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Still in the closet, except for guys I've met up with, and wondering how some of you have dropped subtle hints to others that you're gay. Not ready to drop hints to family or close friends (even though some friends may suspect it) but when I'm out and about and in a safe space, or maybe where other gay guys may be.

2. superchili29

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can think of a few subtle hints. Just remember, it's important to use them in a way that aligns with your comfort level and individual circumstances. Also consider the context and setting in which you drop these hints, as some may be more suitable in specific situations than others.:
    • You could incorporate subtle LGBTQ+ symbols into your attire or accessories, such as a small rainbow pin or a bracelet with pride colors.

• In casual conversations, bring up topics related to LGBTQ+ issues, such as recent news, events, or LGBTQ+ celebrities. For example, "I've been following the news on LGBTQ+ rights, and it's fascinating to see the progress being made." Sharing your thoughts and experiences can naturally hint at your own identity.

• You could use inclusive language when discussing relationships or dating. For example, you can refer to "my partner, someone, person, etc." rather than specifying gender.

• If you have attended LGBTQ+ events, pride parades, or LGBTQ+ bars, you could mention your attendance which can indicate your involvement in the community. If you're considering attending one of these, you could say that instead.

• If you have an interest in LGBTQ+ media, you could talk about popular LGBTQ+ movies, TV shows, or literature to signal your interest in the community.
    I hope this helps.

3. Chillton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am in the same boat and only out to a few people myself. But I'm striving to change that soon. As superchili said the best way to drop subtle hints that your gay, is to change your appearance or bring up LGBT related topics to test the waters. But this can prove challenging if you wish to firmly remain in the closet for the time being, because it may be too obvious to your social circle. As I have learned recently being here in EC, nothing is wrong with being in the closet, but it comes with inherent limitations. Subtlety can only get you so far unless you're lucky.

Another way to test the waters is to compliment the men you're interested in or may suspect that they're gay. It doesn't have to be like your flirting or anything. Just a simple compliment. You can compliment their appearance, their phrase of speech, or a certain action they did. If they're super receptive then they may lean towards the gayer side of the spectrum. If they are indifferent or simply thank you, then probably not.

One time I complimented a male cashiers painted fingernails. Just a simple compliment, "I think your nails look really nice". He was immediately receptive, gave me a discount, explained it helped him get noticed by his new boyfriend, and we immediately launched into a conversation about his first date. Afterwards I asked if he had any cute friends he could introduce me to and he set me up on a blind date. Another time I complimented a guys long gorgeous hair and androgynous clothing. I told him I was jealous and asked where he got his clothes. He was nice but not super receptive and said his girlfriend picks out his clothes. On cue she popped out of nowhere and told me a few places to try. Then she hurriedly dragged her boyfriend away like I was going to steal him. So you never know. A well placed compliment here and there can go a long way.

4. Jahiem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Compliments i do agree with every else, people love compliments.
    Bringing up gay issues, you could say i saw on facebook....
    Sometimes eye contact
    Being a little bit open on social media.
    Showing interest in whatever the guy is interested in. ( I don't watch sports but i try to watch it so i can have a conversation going)
    I use my sense of humor thank god i know how to interject a joke here and there and that keeps people coming back.