1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to choose what to study in college?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by SilverLining120, Jul 26, 2017.

1. SilverLining120

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So in about 1 year, I need to know which subject I want to major in, for College. I'm kind of freaking out cause I have not a clue what i want to do with my life. I have a big interest in Film, but my parents (who are willing to pay my college fees) told me that there is no point in following your dream if there isn't success and fortune at the end. They said I should think about Law and I did. And i started to really like the idea of it. I liked the idea of knowing everything about the Law. But then when I did research, people started saying that it is the most stressful career there is and it is cut throat and no one is truely your friend and everyone wants you to fail because it will benefit them (except your client). So i really don't know what to do here. My time is running out and I don't want this to be a decision I will regret in a few years time.

2. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My suggestion is to do a lot of research. I've major hopped and its no fun - a huge waste of time and money plus after a while i feel like I'm getting judged for not being done with college. Research different fields, research the university's programs, research what that major qualifies you for (like what those students have gone on to do), look up the career paths and what they pay and what the jobs are like, talk to people who work in those fields if you know anybody. Get the best idea you can possibly get of what going into that major and getting a specific job or two will be like.

And lets be real - most colleges require basics for two years in an effort to send out well rounded students - general classes like math, humanities, arts, philosophies, etc. So tbh even once you get to college, you still have a year to decide before it will really impact you and start affecting your schedule and your parents pockets. At college you have the opportunity to talk to professors and students and see their opinions, as well, so that's an idea. I wish i had put more thought into it younger, but it is what it is.

3. Sivert

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Most colleges require you to declare a major during your sophomore year. You should explore your options during your freshman year. Try out different classes, take on a few electives. Consider speaking to the advisers of different departments as well. This will give you a greater insider as to what to expect from each designated discipline. Your greatest outlet should be surveying what other students and faculty tell you about the different majors offered on campus.

While research is good it doesn't always paint the full scope of things. For example it is well known that to get into the business field you must be attending a top notch business school. The students on campus should let you know how prestige the business program on campus is, and threw word of mouth how many post undegrads actually manage to find work. This type of info can only be obtained genuinely from the grape vines.

Best.

Twist likes this.
  4. Really

If you have a chance to do career/aptitude testing, it might point you towards something that you'll actually have a better chance for it being fulfilling. I wouldn't give up on the film business. There are many, many aspects of it that you could branch out into if you wanted to. Even the legal side of it if that turns out to be what you do.

5. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you could be anything, what would it be? It's a tough decision and one I'm having to make right now as well.

I initially wanted to go into neuroscience or psychiatry. I figured, being good at school and liking psychology, leading to a well paying job, would be good enough. But the fact is I know that I was not made for that. The one thing I would always regret if I chose to be a scientist is that I never created art.

If you chose law, would that leave you with regrets? Try different things at your college, take the tests, but listen to your own instincts. What is that starry eyed child inside of you saying? The utterly insensible cry of what, deep down, you really want to be. You can never know unless you try. And you can never become that thing unless you give it everything you have, no reserve.

Following your dream is not about success or fortune, it is about fulfillment. If film would give you that fulfillment then pursue that. It does not matter what other people think. Just don't half ass it, whatever you do. Be open to possibilities and be brash in your efforts.