1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to bite the bullet and just come out already?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Ara, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Ara

Ara

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    (Specially comeing out to my immediate family)
    I think I'm at a point were coming out is the best option for me. If I'm being brutally honest with myself I think I have been for a while. I'm just having a lot of trouble takeing that leap.
    I don't think it's unsafe for me but I also can't imagine it not being deeply unpleasant. At least at frist. Like they definitely won't outright reject me but also pretty much granted to make my mom cry and I really really don't want to make my mom cry. I love my mom.
    I also don't have much of social life outside my family and I'm kinda worried about things getting weird and distant. I'm already lonely as is.
    There's the holydays to deal with too. I don't want to drop this bomb right before a bunch of family gatherings. Mom's also prone to depression this time of year.
    But then again there's always a reason to put it off and I don't want to keep it from them forever.

I've thought about setting a deadline or deideing to come out on X date. Do you think it would help or just be an unnessary soures of stress?

2. jam93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If your worried that it might make things awkward or difficult with the holidays It might be better to wait. However If you feel you need to cone out, and think it will be safe to do so, I wouldn't recommend putting it off much longer then that. Like you said, there's always a reason, and if you let yourself keep making excuses it will never get done. I think making a goal sounds like a good Idea. I did that with my comming out and I think it helped. For me, I chose Oct 11, because it was both my birthday and National Coming Out Day. It was never a hard date, but it was still a goal to work toward, something to make me think about how I wanted to do it and such. Perhaps you could set a date some time shortly after New Years? That way you could start the New Year being yourself? Not trying to pressure you into it, just making a suggestion.

3. Ara

Ara

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You know I kinda about new years with all my worriying about Christmas, that might be a good a one to shoot for. Or mabe a bit before? Like sometime in days days beteewn Christmas and years? We tend to spend new years eve with the same group of family friends and unlike with the extended family I feel comfortable letting them know. (Honestly the worst I would expect form them some affectionate ribbing accidentally crossing a line. There pretty cool.) I know this big news and my parents there gonna wanna confide in someone. And I know they'll be more than willing to listen. Probaly be a lot more comfortable for everyone involved than coming out right before Christmas. And like you said that way I can start the new year being myself :blush:

Now I just gotta make myself physically do it when the time comes, haha :grimacing:

4. jam93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's the really hard bit. When I came out to my mom It took me about four hours to work up the courage. We were just going to go out to lunch and I was planning on doing it right after, but I got cold feet. I kept comming up with other things I wanted to do before she left to buy more time. I got there, but it took awhile. If your really nervous it might be easier to come out via text or email or something, then all you have to do is work up the courage to hit send and it's done. The only downside is that you don't get to see thier reaction so your stuck wondering. Alternatively, if you'd rather do it face to face you could always tell them by text or something ahead of time that you want to talk to them about something important. Then they will be expecting something and will ask, making chickening out more difficult. Whatever you decide good luck. This is a big step and I hope it goes well for you.

5. Baby K

Baby K Guest

I think you might be correct to come out before or on Christmas. I think you would be smart to wait after the holidays are over and all the hoopla of that has settled down. Sometime in January sounds like a good time as you said it is most likely going to be a bad situation with you coming out so things should work out fine. Setting a specific date and having a plan on what to say before going into it is also a very good idea so you have everything in place you want to say. It sounds like you have a pretty good grasp on what you want to do and it sounds good to me. Good Luck with your plans.