1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to be comfortable with the fact that I am more feminine than I thought?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Rdougall1, Feb 23, 2022.

1. Rdougall1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey guys,

So I have been on quite a journey this past couple months in terms of exploring my gender expression. I still identify as male but I am beginning to realize that I am more feminine than I thought I was.

Growing up, I never paid attention much to clothing and was not into clothes I had. I always attributed it to my personality and that I am not a materialistic person. However, I am beginning to realize that one of the primary reasons for this was because I was never given the option to explore with traditionally feminine clothing.

I have been going to the mall with a friend and they are helping me work through this in picking out clothing I liked. I was at the shoe store and I immediately was drawn towards the women’s section and I spent a good twenty minutes really looking at different styles and seeing what I liked. I discovered I really like the color purple and light red/dark pink.

I guess for the longest time, I thought I would be contributing to the stereotype by acting more feminine so I thought there was something virtuous in being more masculine in order to prevent people from making assumptions based on my sexuality. I now realize that I am more secure when I wear feminine clothes.

My long-term goal is to try doing a little bit of makeup. I feel like if I were to try it now, I would feel very anxious but I definitely want some sort of routine where my face looks younger. I also have a vague thought of trying a small amount of eyeshadow but I am definitely not there yet.

How long does this process usually take? I am very eager to get to a place where I feel secure in myself but I also realize it is a process.

Thanks!