1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How straight-acting are you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Owen, Jul 1, 2010.

?

How straight-acting/gay- or lesbian-acting are you?

1. 0. No one would ever suspect it

13.7%
  2. 1. I only give off a few subtle signs that I am gay, and you have to really look for them

22.1%
  3. 2. Some might suspect I am queer, but it's certainly not obvious

22.9%
  4. 3. I'm pretty ambiguous in the way I act; I keep them guessing

19.8%
  5. 4. It's fairly obvious to the casual observer, but the more oblivious types might not guess it

15.3%
  6. 5. It's very obvious to the casual observer

3.8%
  7. 6. Honey, they'd have to be blind to not know!

2.3%
  1. Ben

Ben

I seep homosexual juices. Every pore of my skin contains a little rainbow which, while invisible to the naked eye, is guaranteed to blind anyone within a mile with homosexual awesomeness.

Honestly, people think it's nice to do the whole "oh I never suspected" thing, but I know how obvious it is. I champion Judy Garland and my ipod is crammed full of Broadway cast recordings of shows like Legally Blonde the Musical. I'd rather spend my time baking muffins than watching men kick around a truncated icosahedron and I pretty much just prance around the road of life with a feather duster in hand, my gayness exuberating beyond the vast sea of traditionally heterosexual activities and drowning the surrounding air of any trace of machismo.

However, I'm a 5 and not a 6 because I have found a few people who honestly and seriously assume that I'm straight for some really weird reason. Hothistoryguy#1 was one of those, as are the girls who think they can pursue a relationship with me. Among others.
    But no, I am not straight acting. Nor do I see either 'straight acting' or 'gay acting' as more desirable than one another. I'm comfortably fabulous and comfortable with those who are not fabulous. And it would be nice if everyone would adopt that philosophy. Sadly, they do not.

2. VampConspiracy

Let's see here... I am not obviously bi. My demeanor is mostly docile yet quite Asperger's. I can have rage moments or moments where I can fill my tea pitcher with tears, and my voice is malleable. Maybe the fact that I actually let my emotions shine through may give away something, but as I've never really been confronted about it, I don't think a casual look into my soul will give it away.

And the kind of music I have on my phone... absolutely not going to give it away. With bands like Lamb of God and Cannibal Corpse, I don't think I have to worry about an inadvertent conversation... Especially with that mother-type creature I live with.

#22 VampConspiracy, Jul 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  3. Davy

Scotland (That's the bit with hills & rain)
    Now I think about it, I went for 3, which is a bit surprising you may think seeing as I am still not out yet and in my 20's. But to be perfectly honest I think my general weirdness covers any signs I give off. I don't think people know if I am just weird or gay, in fact i am both. :lol: . If people around me relay wanted to guess they could, of that I have no doubt. But for what ever reason hey I still am where I am.

4. British Lad

British Lad Guest

People would never know that I was gay, because I am so Straight acting. Besides If somebody pushed me I just thump them and I do have a alot of anger. I would have to tell people I was gay. Also I lesion to hardcore rock From AC/DC and KISS to Dope and Killswitch Engage

#24 British Lad, Jul 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2010
  5. SaturdaySaviour

Well, let's see.

In my experience, people aren't even aware that there might be someone queer around them. They've never seen me wearing a dress or a skirt and I'm not really feminine acting. They're just oblivious.

Only one person picked up on my gayness, and that's because I wanted her to. With all my hinting at it I was surprised she was the only one who got it. :rolle:

6. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of the 30 or so people I ever told explicitely, only two ever had any idea beforehand: my brother and a close friend, so both people who were in a position to closely scrutinise me.
    All the others either did not have any idea, or were pretty good at putting up an "I had no idea" act.

So I'd class myself as a 1, though probably more in between 1 and 2

I used to be really proud about how straight-acting I was, and about how I could fool anyone, but on the whole, I'm thinking it's actually been a detriment. Not being forced out kept me in the closet, and if I exuded some more gay signals, I would have to do less of the legwork to get in contact with other gay guys myself.

Also, it changes with the company I have. When I'm hanging out with a gay friend, I'm easily a 3 or 4, while I remain at 1 in most other situations.

7. Markio

I selected 4, because some people find it obvious while a lot of people do not. I used to think it was good that I could hide part of my identity from others, but now I think that's a really strange thing to be proud of. I want to be comfortable telling people when it comes up, or when someone alludes to me having a girlfriend, which happens enough times it's uncanny. (Twice, really).

8. The BC

I had a hard time coming out because I assumed everyone knew or thought I was gay but nobody saw that - they were all surprised to hear the news. Even after coming out I've had people ask when I was going to start acting gay...

0-3 for me, closer to the 0 to 1 side of things. Flamers are awesome though - easy to identify, comfortable, and typically well dressed, lol. Trying to find a gay guy when you are 'straight acting,' (I hate that term, I'm just myself) isn't easy.

9. Étoile

I chose 4.

Some people know right off the bat I'm gay. My friend and some of my classmates bulldozed my closet. My mama knew for a while too.

Some people are completely, utterly oblivious. Twice, people have told me they've of never expected. My daddy said he saw no signs.

I'm not the most masculine guy, far from it, but I'm not a rainbow on fire either (no offense to flamboyant guys of course). I'm more feminine. My shyness usually masks my wild side.

10. chained butterfly

Im so obsious i didnt need to tell anyone im gay. They already knew. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. SwissBoy88

1... I often get phone numbers from girls, but never from guys.. :frowning2:

12. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Everyone was shocked when I came out, though they were cool with it, I am often refer to as the gay-walker. It's how Blade is the day walker, but more gay.

13. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I voted 3 for the hell of it.

I honestly don't know how straight I appear to be, nor do I care in the slightest. But seeing as how I haven't been called out on any sort of suspicion of being gay by the local farm folk (who probably cut off our rainbow bracelets and mount them on the wall in their living room every time they catch a queer) I'd reckon I seem to act what would appear to be normal for a straight male.

But every now and again I catch myself putting my hands on my hips (which I now have, due to some weight loss so it's like playing with a new toy, I haven't felt them before now) or flailing my hands about. Other people tell me I'm classy too, which I can't say is a trait many of the straight men around here share. We gays ooze class, don't you know.

14. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    3. I act so dull around people that I'm not close to so no one would ever be able to assume anything either way.

15. ANightDude

2. People seem to be surprised a lot of times...

16. xCrazyInsanity

I recognize that I act like weird at times.

But people seem to be a bit confused on my sexuality (moreso than me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

I think if i passed a little better people would start putting it together

so 3
    Just about everything is ambiguous enough to confuse people, which doesn't bother me much.

17. Zume

I said 3 because that is how I act. People really can't pick me out right away. Now if we were talking the kind of music I listen to, the movies I watch.. we can bump that number up for a 5 or 6 :thumbsup:

:lol:

18. RainbowJay

I'm probably a 3.

No matter how butch I act and how casually (and sometimes conspicuously) I may check out girls, there are people that are oblivious to my homosexuality. :lol:

19. Apocalypte

Probably a high 4-low 5, I'm pretty obvious. The short hair, lack of make-up, chunky boots and general attitude tend to make me look like a giant flaming beacon of gay.

20. Gumtree

I think in order to get fair results to this question, you can't ask people about themselves.

I've noticed that so, so, so many gay guys have no idea just how stereotypical they actually are.

I am not sure if it's ignorance or denial but LOTS would say 1, 2 or 3 when really they're a 4, 5 or 6 :/