1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How should I tell my classmates/parents that I want to change my English name?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Omnis Leevene, Feb 6, 2024.

1. Omnis Leevene

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So basically I live in China where it’s normal for kids to have two names, a Chinese name and an English name. At school I do not have an English name, well, at least a feminine English name, thus everyone refers to me by my deadname which is super feminine. Deep inside however, I’ve always known that it is wrong. I am more comfortable with a male name, but I did not give myself an English name because I was afraid people would make fun of me.
    The masculine name I chose for myself is Theophilus, or Theo for short. When I found out the name Theo is actually gender-neutral since it may also be a form of Theodora I was wondering perhaps it is possible for me to use the English name Theo at school. Nevertheless I am (almost) not at all, so I don’t how people will react to me changing my name as there is already a few rumours about me being a lesbian or etc. And I have no idea how my parents would respond to that, especially my mother, because she’s not so supportive of the lgbt community, although she has some level of acceptance of me being a lesbian(if I were one). I tried to came out to her once and she was like ‘no, you’re not (transgender), you are just indoctrinated by those social media.’
    Any advice? I just don’t want people to make a fuss about my gender identity or make rumours about me being transgender(even though it’s true).

2. Chillton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If your goal is to stay under the radar then I would just tell people you're changing your name to Theodara. I know it's not exactly what you want but your safety comes first. I'm changing my name soon and a few people I know don't approve of it. However my name is for me and no one else, so I don't let it get to me. What matters is Theophilus is the name in your heart despite if people call you Theodora or your dead name. No one can take that from you. Plus if these peers don't support you or are going to make fun of you, then why should you entrust them with any moral responsibility to respect you. For now privately love and be kind to yourself. Don't worry about anybody else. School isn't forever and soon enough it will just be a sad memory.

wouldbeElliot likes this.
  3. Omnis Leevene

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If that's the case then I guess it's better not to name myself Theodora, but keep using my deadname, at least for now. In some ways, it creates more deadnames, which I do not want. I only want to change my name to Theo because it's (sort of) gender neutral, so people will not think 'Ah, this person changed his name to a masculine one since he's a ftm transgender person!' or amything similar. But thanks for your help

Chillton likes this.