1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Should I Tell Her?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by NewSensation, Mar 15, 2017.

1. NewSensation

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ok, so a lot has been racing across my mind lately, and I wanted some advice.
    I'm gay (I'm a guy), but I am still very much in the closet. However, the burden is taking a toll on me and I need to tell someone about it. I already know I want to tell my friend first, but I am completely confused about how I should go about telling her. It's not that I don't know what to say, but I am unsure whether I should tell her in person, or through text. Tbh, I am pretty awkward, and I never do well with face to face contact and I can express my ideas better through text. But I don't know if it's the right way of going about it. I may feel the most comfortable doing it that way, but I am scared that it wont have the same impact as face to face.
    I am just confused about how to go about this, and I really need some advice.

2. Mj5963

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In person only , empathy is a powerful emotion of affirmation and you cannot sense nor feel empathy and support on a text . She is your friend she will be an amazing support to you

3. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are plenty of people here who will tell you that either way is fine, and that you should do what makes you comfortable. Many people do come out to others over emails, texts, or other written messages. It is a valid and understandable way to do it.

However, as Mj5963 says, coming out in written form lacks the ability to have the personal connection with the person you are coming out to. It's hard for them to be empathetic with you, and it can be more difficult when you aren't there to answer questions or get feedback from them. For me, it's just too impersonal for most of the people I came out to. However, for people who don't live near me, I did use written messages when I came out.

I would recommend coming out in person if you can. The more you do it, the easier it becomes. It's super scary the first few times, but it does get easier.

Take care. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: