1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How often do you think about your gender?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by QuiteAlright, Jul 2, 2014.

1. birdking

I think about it a lot, but I feel the best when I'm distracted from it

2. JoshuaTree

I think about it once a day.. for 24 hours straight. Basically every time I can't disassociate from my body.

3. FancyGummy

MA, UNITED STATES, FURTHER DETAILS UNKNOWN
    It's interesting... While I almost never think about my gender, I do think about my age and how it affects how "masculine" I act. I never wanted to be a "manly man", like my profile says, I like cute things. Lately, I've been thinking "Oh, god, I don't want to grow up", mainly because I don't want to end up like most of the guys in my family and be boring as rocks. I suppose that's why I put my gender in question slightly.

OK, I've been getting off topic. I think about it quite often, actually, because I just wish I could feel comfortable enough to act a little more "girly", but I bet a lot of my difficulty in that regard comes from having Asperger's Disorder.

4. Yosia

Like every 30 mins.

5. BelleFromHell

^^ This.

6. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I think about my gender more often than I'd like. I think about it when I'm picking out clothes. When I'm dressing myself up and trying to look good I try to include both masculine and feminine elements. But most of all I think about it when I see all this disgusting hair on me. Every time I shave I feel so bad about it.

7. justjade

Almost constantly. Well, OK, maybe not that much, but I think about it a lot. I think if I was recognized as a man by everyone, I wouldn't think about it so much. But I'm always wondering how I'm being perceived and what's socially acceptable based on that.

8. birdking

^ yeah good point. I'm guessing it all depends on how well you think you pass. I know that when I'm feeling confident it's off my mind, but whenever I feel down I can't get it off my mind.

9. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    more than i used to for sure. i kind of kept everything buried deep but since coming out to myself and allowing myself to be in touch with my feminine side, it crosses my mind more often, especially when i see cute shoes or clothes.:icon_wink

10. Soup

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I don't think about it all that often but as I have a trans friend, I sometimes try to understand what it should 'feel like' to be a male. I guess I never really thought about it but I don't actually know that I could tell you I've ever 'felt male' if that makes sense. Basically I've never thought to myself: 'maybe I should be female' which confuses me a bit as to if other males 'feel male' or what it feels like for trans people to have the wrong body.

11. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

Any second.

12. hoodiestrings

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  13. Emmanuella

I rarely think of my gender, oddly enough, even when thinking of my sexuality. The two really are closely related though, aren't they?! I think about it more often when thinking of inequality in terms of jobs and pay, as well as race issues and other general social issues...basically if/when the topic comes up otherwise, my gender is not something I think about at all....

As a matter of fact, I have a hard time fully grasping the concept of gender...like. I understand that males and females are supposed to look and act a certain way. Women have some features and men have some features. People consider some things masculine and some things feminine...I get that. BUT....why?! What in essence is gender. What is a man?! What is a woman?! We are who we are,no? Some women are more masculin while others are more feminine. What is it in essence that makes them both women?
    What is it that makes me so comfortable as a "woman".

Hmmm thanks guys, now I'm going to spend the evening thinking about this...

14. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think about it every two or three days I guess.

I would assume trans people think about it more than cis people.

15. SpitfireXSoarin

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Every day sadly. I wish I could just shut off that part of my mind >~<

16. laurenc

laurenc Guest

way more then I'd like (almost every day unless I have many other things on my mind)

17. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

I think alot about my gender whenever I have to make a choice regarding my body. Not entirely life-changing choices but more of the daily ones.
    For example, when I have to pick what to wear especially if I'm going out somewhere, I really think hard about my gender. Sometimes I want to bind the hell out of my chest...other times, I'm slightly at peace with them. Sometimes I curse my body type and other times, I'm happy about it...
    So, everyday I think about it. :/

18. 101DeadRoses

Every day or so. It's not really such a dire issue that I figure it out right now, but it's always there in the back of my mind.

19. anonym

anonym Guest

Every minute of every day :frowning2: If I ever get a break from it and forget about it for just a few seconds, it feels like I've forgotten or lost something.

20. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I feel male, I think about it almost constantly. When I feel female, I think about it periodically. When I feel genderqueer, I hardly think about it at all, because I think that's what feels most comfortable to me. But I think about my gender a minimum of once a day because, since it changes, I tend to feel the need to kind of 'check' my gender in the morning.