1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How offensive is stereotypical gay humor?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 461 467, Jan 29, 2013.

1. FemCasanova

Hetero/straight people have just as much to be ashamed of as us. They have a sexuality too. They have sex :icon_wink

And maybe I haven`t heard any straight jokes specifically, but jokes about blondes, brunettes, nerds, geeks, bus drivers (yeah, we have tons of them), people from other countries (variating on the country what is typical for them), men, women, pms, overweight people, skinny people, nudist-people, children, etc, etc. None of them has anything they should be ashamed of either. I mean, should you be ashamed you`re Australian, or Norwegian, Swedish?

Humor is most of the time not about mocking someone.

Words mean what we put into it. Gay once meant great, or happy, or preppy or something like that. Then it got a negative meaning instead. Now, I feel we are on our way to change that. If we hide the word in a drawer, how can we take it back and make it a good word again?

And if we cannot even joke about it, then that signals to the world that we truly are ashamed. If we hide away, if we silently acknowledge the jokes they use, by not even being able to joke about it ourselves. I refuse to pretend to be ashamed of something that I have absolutely no reason to be ashamed of.

I notice a pair of nice female attributes on a screen, and I`ll get the comment that it`s so dykey, and that is fine. I am a lesbian, call me a dyke! Or a carpet-muncher, or whatever. It`s not like it`s a lie, and it`s not like I am ashamed of it. Make a joke about if every woman was a lesbian, the couples doing dubble PMSing at the same time would cause a third World War. There`s a hint of truth in that joke, if you`re a woman in a relationship with another woman, sometimes you feel like that`s how it is. That`s what makes it a funny joke.

I get that people can get hurt, and I get that some jokes are mean-spirited (*hug*) but I think that whether you are straight or gay, a blonde or a brunette, a career woman or a single mum, if you cannot laugh about your life, or other people`s life, or life in general, then you`ll end up very bitter.

Humor is important, it can help us deal with so much crap. Make us feel better even as the door is falling off it`s hinges. It can help us feel different, connect other emotions to thing. See the bright side a little. (*hug*)

2. Motov

A question,... do you gals think this one is ok or not?

What is the difference between a Ritz cracker and a lesbian?

A) One is a snack cracker, the other is a crack snacker.

Just curious I heard that one over 10 years ago.

3. Alexander69

Ya but homosexuality should not be for humor it needs to be taken seriously we need more support not humor about us

4. jp16

I think as long as you know where to draw the line, gay jokes are fine.

5. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    lol. Yeah, l have to admit l wasn't really familiar with swedish humor.
    Daily Dot | 100,000 Swedes can be wrong: "Horses are a fruit"

6. lxlJDlxl

Some people need support just like us. And if everything is to be taken seriously, like every bit of it, everything about homosexuality would be too dull. Like we have some kind of disease or something.

7. LiquidSwords

Unless I'm absolutely sure that someone isn't homophobic (not many people in my life), people telling gay jokes make me feel uncomfortable.

8. Thatoneguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Being able to makes gay jokes around my friends allowed me to become more conformable with myself. I don't mind hearing or telling potentially offensive jokes with my friends simply because we knew each other well enough to know when its a joke.

I wouldn't dare make an edgy joke around someone I don't know, so I would say that gay jokes are okay within a group of people you know really well, but not okay for sharing with the general public.

9. HadesReborn

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Weirdly enough, and despite all i have said before. I am uncomfortable when someone who is heterosexual make a gay joke. While I really could care less if someone tells a joke about it, I feel more comfortable when the words are spoken by a homosexual. Why? Because the joke is more personal to them. It has a double meaning, and thus, I believe makes it funnier.

But again, having said that. If the comedian tells the joke in a certain way then I wouldn't be uncomfortable. The problem with comedy, and why it is so hard to get right, is you have to be smart. You have to know your audience. You can't walk into a gay bar as a heterosexual man and make a gay joke because you'll alienate the majority of people in there.

Again, I agree. You are being insulted. But, once again, I say... being able to laugh WITH your 'aggressor' or 'enemy' shows a stance stronger than that of anger. It shows that they can say what they want and it won't affect you. I'm NOT saying I don't get offended. When Tracy Morgan said he would stab his child if he ever turned out gay, yes i was offended and there was no-way I was going to laugh at that. But... firstly, I fail to see why i would be surrounded by homophobes. Unless of course I was holding a convention and my aim was to make them open their eyes. But, let's be real. I'm not going to do that. If someone wants to make a homophobic joke about me then great! I welcome it. Not because i want to be bashed or laughed at but because i don't care what someone says about me. I am comfortable enough in who I am as a person to be able to hear a joke and take it as a joke. Unless the person saying it has a history of violence towards the LGBT community.

P.s. You didn't sound harsh :slight_smile:

10. Kay

Kay Guest

Nice post by the way.
    I don't let it bother me to the point I show any reaction. I do not like the stereotypical humor. I don't like it toward any group. In 1973 or 74 I had the word Queer tattooed on my wrist. It is the only one I have and I did that to take the power away from the most derogatory slur of that time.
    I have never cried or burst into a rage. I do not like the jokes and slurs and I never will. My partner responded somewhat out of character with the bartender as I shared in a post because the insult was pointed directly at me and how I look and chose to be. I suppose we agree on this point pretty much. Hugs and lots of love.

11. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I'm not really offended by most jokes, tbh. If they're funny, I'll laugh. I like sarcastic, offensive humour.

12. CinePhys

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not offensive at all. It's a joke, as you say, and so it should be taken as such. For me it's that clear cut for me.

13. HP7465213

I think some of it can be downright hilarious. I think it's funny because its always so over the top, take Cam from Modern Family for example. I've never met anyone as flamboyant and spirited as him, however, I have seen some of his tendencies muted a bit in real homosexuals. But, you can't please everyone, and there are some people who will be offended by everything.

14. Reptillian

If I were to assume I am a homosexual, I still wouldn't be offended of those jokes because of well of my own mindset, everyone's worthless in the end and no body is worth praises no matter who they are. I have a black friend that loves nigger joke and I love it when he insults me while I insult him, but we're chill.

15. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    l pretty much feel the same way, though l let very few people know it.

l do have one black friend like that. He was the one to start telling them, probably because he felt awkward being the only black guy around us most of the time.

l just do't believe that one group's suffering is really worse than another and l especially can't get genuinely offended by humor directed at my own group unless it's hateful. That makes me feel like l don't understand that all groups are subject to ridicule and have both positive and negative qualities.

But l don't share that or make these kinds of jokes, really, at the end of the day l'm too lazy to make fun of everyone and you just have too many people thinking you really believe what you're saying.

16. Minx

I don't find it offensive...

I make fun of breeders all the time, and they don't seem to mind. :lol:

17. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

I don't really mind it, just as long as people know where to draw the line. As long as people understand that these jokes are only based on stereotypes and that not all gay people are like that. I think it's good to be able to step back and laugh but if it's meant in an offesive way I would have a problem with it.

18. Kay

Kay Guest

Of course we can laugh at ourselves and this is fine. I have no problem with that. Nor do my partner and I usually make a fuss over this. It is the rare case where this happens. Now when people outside of ourselves as I pointed out to my post to Chip are saying thing it is always an insult. Always. It goes to the point I made earlier about the N word. It is always an insult and always will be outside of the black community. It is never acceptable to use that word. Why then is it acceptable to use Fag or Queer or Dyke in the same sense as people used the N word. You are making a double standard in society. It is all good to berate and make jokes and comments about homosexuals but god forbid you say one word against Blacks or better said Afro-Americans depending on what part of the country you are in. How are these two examples different?
    Hugs honey.

19. ForceAndVerve

As long as you can make fun of a straight, white, atheist male then everyone is fair game.

For me personally, if someone isn't homophobic, then I don't care what they say, and if they tell a gay joke that makes me laugh, even better. Though saying that I am pretty immune to offence when it comes to gay jokes and I do have a rather vulgar/coarse sense of humour myself so I can completely appreciate that others may be more susceptible to taking offence.

20. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I disagree. One of the quickest ways to defuse bigotry... and make people think... is to simply laugh at the jokes, even when said by mean-spirited bigots. While yes, the bigots may think that they're saying something hurtful and insulting, when we simply laugh at their jokes and let them know we own the stereotypes they're trying to use to put us down... and that takes all the power of their bigoted statements away. It's actually an amazingly empowering thing to watch these people get a completely different response, and experience what it's like to say something intended to hurt that instead makes us laugh. And just for the record... I'm only a few years younger than you are. I guess we just experience the world differently.