1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How My Boyfriend and I should Come Out to Our Parents?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ConfusedSurfer, Apr 10, 2015.

1. ConfusedSurfer

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    If you guys have been reading my past posts, I have been documenting my experiences. Whether it be fate or actions undertaken by the person I care about, I think I am ready to come out. This is spurred by a rather embarrassing experience with my mom and I, while I was wearing what amounts to my (Boyfriend, I think) Letterman jacket splatted with some of my cum.

My parents gave me the generic "we accept you talk" and many of you say it was most likely a result of the varsity jacket incident. Regardless, that incident is behind me and I think its time to move forward. Following the talk, my boyfriend and I had a talk.

All I can say is that his is more forward and more brave than I am. When we began intimate relations six months ago, he told his girlfriend that he needed to break up with her. He has already come to terms regarding his sexuality (he tells me he is gay) and does not want to hide what we are to each other anymore.

Personally, for me I am happy just spending time with him and don't have any issue with being thought of as his boyfriend.

He has talked to his sister and they feel that his parents would accept / love him while most likely accepting that his close friend and I are together. She says she kind of suspected because she the why we interacted with each other seem to her to be something more than a heterosexual friendship.

She says that Jack would be find coming out as gay because they have both received what they call a standard "sexual orientation" and "we will accept you" talk when each one hit puberty.

Things being as they are we think its them to come out both individually and as a couple to our respective parents. My parents are already having a family BBQ this Sunday and my parents invited Jack to stay for it after we surf in the morning. Jack's parents will be picking him up in the early afternoon and usually get one or two burgers or hot dogs.

Here we somewhat differ in the coming out thing

I think we should do it in front of both sets of parents, as a couple. With the traditional and standard "Mom and Dad, we need to talk.", Jack still wants to do the coming out as a couple thing but he is thinking of saying,

"Hey, Mom and Dad we're going to go to Junior Prom together as each others dates, could you sign the permission form"*

I kindda think I want to go with prom with him. Part of me would love it but I am kind of scared. I guess it my personality vs Jack's here's what I am personality.

*(This is part of our coming out plan. We want to come out to our parents then our friends. We feel that the timing is good as its close to the end of the school year (when we announce that we are gay and may go to prom together, that it should only have a minimal effect on our school lives if we are challenged.

2. gasian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I support your idea. It will probably seem less stressful, since it seems like you're not forgetting how they grew up, with the more traditional approach. While Jack's idea has its merits, unless you are 100% sure that both sets of parents will accept you 100%, I feel that his idea is a bit strong for both sets of parents.

3. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Other than you might be exposing your boyfriend to the scrutiny of your parents at the same time you are coming out, and vice-versa, it sounds like a novel sort of idea IF you think that both set of parents like each other's choice of boyfriends as people. It gives a exemplification of what it means for you to announce as being gay, and perhaps they can see that it is a loving caring relationship, not just some kind of sexual hookup. The parents probably have an idea anyway if you have been spending time at each other's house a lot. I think you should leave the "permission slip" thing for a later date though, to give them time to get used to thinking of you as a couple; you don't want them to say "no" as a reflex out of fear of how other kids at the prom might treat you making your first such formal appearance as a couple at a major HS social event.

4. Ashleigh16

I think it'd be really sweet for y'all to come out as a couple to parents together. As for prom not sure where you live but if you want to then I say go for it. I'll support you fully :slight_smile: