How much of a "people person" are you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Canterpiece, Oct 13, 2015.

1. RainDreamer

I find it easy enough to put on a mask and get through my day - pretending I am someone I am not has been something I practice and do for most of my life. So I can get along with people, but it is tiring and always leave me drained.

2. CyanChachki

Honestly, it depends on who it is and how long they plan to hang out. If I genuinely like the person, we could hang out every day, all week and I wouldn't be bothered but if someone does things that get on my nerves, I can only handle them for so long.

3. Jalo

Jalo Guest

Not at all. I hate interacting with people. Most people I get along with are either not straight, not cisgender, or they somehow manage to be a shy Mexican. I don't know why but I always get along with people who are shy and from Mexico. No idea why.

4. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am if it suits me. Definitely not something that comes naturally to me, but you learn the ropes and you do what you must. Whether I'm comfortable or not is besides the point, so long as it gets results.

#24 RawringSnake, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  5. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very much a people person, and a social animal. I love hearing people tell their stories, about where they're from, what it was like, their perspectives on politics, sports, literature, music, economics, what sort of sense of humor they have. If I go out, I can almost always manage to strike up an engaging conversation...and much of being a people person is not talking, but listening; asking a few questions, feeling the situation out, leading it down a path where you talk about things in common and one that generally avoids acrimony. It's a good place to be a people person here, because there's such diversity; last week I was taking to a retired gentleman at the Tavern who was explaining what it was like when the city was segregated, and I found it fascinating to just listen. What was curious is that though I could tell he felt a certain sadness, he wasn't bitter, and it made me think, if I was black, how would I have felt living through that era?

So I very much crave talking to as wide a variety of people as possible; it also helps with ideas for writing, and developing characters. Plus, I simply enjoy it.

So try it, you might like it!

6. Charon

Charon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not much.

7. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not a people person at all.

I prefer the company of animals over the company of people. They don't care about your income, the car you drive, the clothes you wear or the way you style your hair. They don't judge you, don't spread rumours about you. They are sincere and upfront about their feelings, and they love you unconditionally and are very forgiving. If you're having a bad day, they understand.

I'm yet to meet a person who has all those qualities...

8. dragon20

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm kinda a people person I guess. Like I wanna talk to people but at the same time I like my alone time. If I'm just meeting you, I'm quiet and kinda awkward but once I warm up to you, I don't shut up. I took my job in retail thinking it would help me get over social awkwardness. It didn't. On the one hand when I get home the last thing I wanna do is deal with people. But on the other hand I really wanna talk to someone. I always say I wanna have an intelligent conversation with someone that doesn't end in 'do you want a receipt?' Oh well. Maybe someday :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Depends on what you mean by people person I suppose...I can get along fairly well with most people; I'm polite, I listen to what they have to say, and when I hang out with friends we can usually have a great time conversing about things and maybe watching a movie.

But in general I'm fairly certain I'm a textbook introvert; last time I took a test measuring introversion and extroversion levels I actually got full points for introversion and none for extroversion. I just usually feel way more energized by myself, though funnily enough I can adapt fairly well to social situations too, just that most of them are on the edge of my comfort zone. I'm also super private/reserved around people, even friends, so I don't know if that counts for anything. That doesn't mean I can't talk for ages when conversing with them about, oh I don't know, a TV show or society or something. It just means I'm super private about personal things. But even though I feel more comfortable alone most of the time, I do still enjoy going out with friends (usually smaller groups). Friends who aren't so close to me, however, I tend to close off even more; I'm quiet and I don't say much, though if small talk is absolutely necessary I could handle it fairly well. I guess there's a difference between my dispositional personality socially and my ability to adapt externally to social situations. But really, there are a few friends in my life I really treasure and get along with. It takes a while to get close to people for me but those people are the ones I can be more of a "people person" around.

So really, I'm kind of in the middle, depending on how you define it.

#29 Alder, Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  10. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm an excitement-seeking introvert. I don't really have "people skills" despite studying people for quite some time. However, I can transform into a ENTP, so I gain energy from (most) people, and I revert back when I'm alone.

Silly as it might sound, that is the best way to describe how my personality changes. I feel like I have 1.5 personalities. Or an "artistic temperament" if you prefer.

11. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This for me as well, especially negative people! It pisses me off so much!

#31 justin88, Oct 14, 2015
  12. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well, I don't hate everyone...Actually I'm apathetic to most. But I don't think I'm bitter and there are a few people that I'm very fond of. Anyway, I'm not really a people person, I'm shy and introverted (but less than I used to). I can talk alright if I have to, but if I talk too much it tires me out and I'd much rather listen.
    People say I'm a nice guy though. I dunno if I believe in them.

13. Lyana

I prefer to be alone. I've lost count of the number of times I've said "I don't like people." I'm uncomfortable with crowds and kids, which is what I mean by that, most of the time. I can get by quite well one-on-one, and I don't actually dislike people in general... But I wouldn't say I'm a people person, and no one who knows me would say it of me, either.

However, I'm good at listening and asking questions, and smiling and appearing friendly to strangers.

14. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am when I'm comfortable in a situation. It just takes me awhile to warm up. I'm pretty self-conscious and hesitant in new settings with new people.

15. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gosh, everyone here seems so shy! If you all were ponies, we'd have about 30 Fluttershy ponies, so far!

And then me, the intellectual version of Pinkie Pie :slight_smile:

16. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What's a Fluttershy pony?

17. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She's a character on my little pony friendship is magic. And the clue's in the name really when describing what she's like. She's shy. That among other things. :slight_smile:

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net..._Vector.png/revision/latest?cb=20141214215316

#37 Canterpiece, Oct 14, 2015
  18. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  19. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like people but I also need lots of freedom and time alone.

20. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Glad that was cleared up! But I see you more as Rainbow Dash, by a long shot. You may be the only other extrovert on this site :slight_smile: