1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many times have you donated blood?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SonicBoom, Sep 16, 2015.

?

How many times have you donated blood?

1. 0

59 vote(s)
    69.4%
  2. 1 to 2

13 vote(s)
    15.3%
  3. 3 to 4

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  4. 5 to 6

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  5. More than six times

6 vote(s)
    7.1%
  6. Other

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    0. I have no problem getting blood drawn, but it's just something I've never bothered doing.

2. Foz

Foz Guest

I'm O- which there is always higher demand than supply (anyone can take O-, if a car crash victim comes in and they don't know the blood type they use O-, it's also carried on helicopters and doctors response cars) and I've been asked a few times by medical staff if I'd thought of donating. A few weeks ago I was driving back across town and I saw an advert for it so I just went to the blood donation centre, I got registered, donated a pint and was out within 30 mins.

It really is no hassle and I'd urge anyone who can to do it. I expect a ruling on sexually active gay men and blood donation to happen within the next 12 months which would be great news.

3. ScatteredEarth

I find that rule to be seriously fucked up because if you've had sex with another male who you know is std free, then it shouldn't matter. What I would accept is if you were engaging in high risk sexual activities such as having sex with multiple people over the course of days weeks years etc. I lied about that part because both me and my ex had been tested prior and were both clean, and we were both virgins. They test the blood/plasma beforehand anyway so there's no excuse to not take them.

4. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I haven't yet. It's something I'd like to do as I see it as a very worthwhile thing. BUT the idea that as soon as I have sex I'll be a turned away is EXTREMELY off putting.

5. Gen

Gen

That just sounds sadistic. Medicine should have moved beyond these types of procedures by now. The true source of my phobia is the cubital fossa (the opposite side of the elbow). Stick the needle through the chest! Give me a butcher knife and I will get you the sample! But leave my cubital fossa alone!

Even writing this post, I can actually feel the panic setting in. Blood doesn't phase me. Medical procedures don't phase me. If the medical community would just come together and find another region to stick their needles than all would be well in my world.

6. SonicBoom

This thread is dripping wet with BLOOD.:jawdrop:

7. DMark69

The law was implemented 30+ years ago before they knew the cause or even how to accurately test for HIV. Back then they saw a disease that was almost always fatal infecting the gay community at a much higher rate, and wanted to do something. Now that all blood is tested anyway the law has outlived it's usefulness, but it is still the law. Additionally if you had sex in 1977 with someone that was infected, you are probably already dead...

8. blueshadedsoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've had it tested once, & I hated doing it. Even though I'd like to donate someday I don't know if I could.

#68 blueshadedsoul, Sep 18, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  9. SonicBoom

I really don't mind pins and needles.

They are OK if they are on a pin cushion. :grin:

[​IMG]

#69 SonicBoom, Sep 19, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  10. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Never, so zero times. I just reached the legal age, but I still don't weigh nearly enough.

My dad donates blood often. In fact, he just donated this morning! He says it's because he enjoys being stabbed with needles. :lol:

Edit: The Red Cross has come to my school several times, but hardly anyone donates because they don't meet the requirements. When you're a teenager, you have to weigh a lot more for them to let you donate!

#70 YuriBunny, Sep 19, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  11. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  12. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just once, but I plan on doing it yearly at least because I love the rewarding feeling that comes with helping someone. I'm also considering donating plasma in the future as well.

13. SonicBoom

TRUE ! TRUE! TRUE! :eusa_clap

14. choirsmash

I've thought about it and considered it, but I can't. I wanted to do it as soon as I turned 17, but I was exactly 110 at the time. I weigh about 115-120 now, but I've struggled with anemia all my life. Until I get my iron levels to a nice high point, it probably won't happen.
    I've had plenty of blood tests though, and I was fine with needles for quite awhile. A concussion brought on a slight fear of needles for some reason, but I could probably get through it. Blood is fine, I'm studying health sciences so blood is definitely not a problem.
    Just need to get that iron up and I'm good. I am an organ donor on my license, though which is good.

15. Ginger Hobbit

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Technically, I don't weigh enough, but they've never actually checked... I'm about 10 pounds under the minimum, but I lie and say I'm 112. I've donated 8 times with no issues. I've been turned away a couple times for low iron, so now I prepare for blood drives by eating lots of enriched cereals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.